I LOST A ZEBRA!!! WHY??? (Caution: A Little Bit Graphic)

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

GlockFu
Obsessed!!

I LOST A ZEBRA!!! WHY??? (Caution: A Little Bit Graphic)

Post by GlockFu »

I woke up this morning and looked in my tank to see a beat up zebra... I looked to see if it was still breathing, and it wasn't :cry:

What happened? I had a spawn (first spawn) about 2 months ago, I changed the water and cleaned out the tank about 3 weeks ago and they have been fighting ever since. Last weekend I put another cave in the tank to try and stop the fighting. The wierd thing is I don't think this was one of the ones that had been fighting because the ones that were fighting have faded stripes, this one did not, BUT it got killed in one night!!!

Also, do you think this is one of my males or females? :cry:

jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

Thats too bad, bro!!!!!! I know it hurts to wake up and find that......Whats that growth on the side of its head??? It looks like a male to me.....Well I hope the others spawn for you to make up for the lose!!!!! Good luck!!
GlockFu
Obsessed!!

Post by GlockFu »

That thing on the side of his head is from getting his butt kicked... I dont know how that happend but it kinda looks like the insides of that opening got ripped out or something. :cry:
zebra046
Obsessed!!

Post by zebra046 »

I feel bad to what happend to your fish this is what I was talking about from your last question.
http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtop ... ght=#10162
lets just hope you will be able to breed the remaining fish in the near future.
LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Post by LyreTail »

My zebra just swish at each other. I have never seen real violent fighting, but things can get a little nasty trying to kick each other out of a favorite cave.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

LyreTail wrote: I have never seen real violent fighting, but things can get a little nasty trying to kick each other out of a favorite cave.
http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtop ... ight=fight

Or maybe you meant that you've never seen any real fighting amongst yours? Anyway, they can fight alright :P
LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Post by LyreTail »

Thanks - that is quite a bit more vicious than what I have seen before. Perhaps that was why one of my males died last year and now I only have one? They still fight but normally one leaves the area after a struggle like what the beginning of the video shows. The second half of the video I have not seen
INXS
Obsessed!!

Post by INXS »

I would also guess it is from fighting - though zebra plecos are usually not violant it seems that territorial disputes within the tank prevent the weaker fish from being able to escape and can lead to death.

It is the cause of the only loss I have experienced and I know of others who have lost these fish in such disputes.

Often removing the whipping boy is the only way.

Sorry for your loss.