Hi Everyone

Hmmm...what else can I say!
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Hi Everyone

Post by Plastic Mac »

Hi Everyone,

Thought I should introduce myself. I 've been fishkeeping on and off for most of my life so far and have loved every mintue of it. One of my dreams, other than acquiring and maintaining the largest marine tank I can possibly get past my girlfriend and into my house is to breed zebra plecs.
Unfortunately I'm still trying to work out a way to get another large tank past my girlfriend and into the house but she has finally conceded to me attempting to breed the little zebras.
I'm now completely set up, the only thing I am missing it the little critters themselves. Which is now why I am trawling everywhere trying to locate some and hence, how i found this place, which will hopefully be a great source of information later on.
The last time I kept any zebras I was playing £45 a pop, seems prices have risen slightly since then :( So I'm hoping I can come into contact with a breeder or someone who may be able to point me in the right direction. Just don't point me to one of my LFS in Crewes hill. That shop has their last four at £245 each! :shock: A little more than I am prepared to pay.
If anyone can help me realise my dream I'd me forever grateful and in your debt! :D

regards
Plastic Mac
UK
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

There are a good few on here breeding... the main problem is that it is a slow process with low fry number per spawn.

Keep an eye on the forums (and on ebay) but post on here when you find some as people have had experience (bad) with some ebayers and some stores too (in the us)

We're a certious bunch and wont gazump you on them :)

Sexing them before you buy is also a good idea (it would seem females are harder to find)...
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Plastic Mac and welcome to the forum. :D

It's good to hear that your girlfriend has agreed to another tank. I recently got "permission" for a 6ft+ tank, but I'm not allowed to put zebras in it. :cry: Apparently I have enough tanks for the zebras already.

As Smithrc says there are a few breeders on here that in time could supply you with a colony, just keep an eye on the sale and wants thread. There is also ebay and aquarist and classifieds to consider.

That shop in crewes hill wouldn't happen to be Wild Woods by any chance? Even though they are priced at £245 they have been selling, the last time I was there they had about eight for sale.

Hope you get your zebras and realise your dream. :)

Adam
Plastic Mac
Mentally Certified!

Post by Plastic Mac »

Thanks for the info so far, I'll definitly be keeping any eye of these forums for any zebras which come up for sale.

And YES it is Wildwoods, but £245 is just too much for me. It seems each time they sell one they jack the prices up of the remaining ones.

I've just spotted one on ebay which has come up for sale, down in Dorset. I'm the highest bidder at present so fingers crossed! :D
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Plastic Mac

Welcome to the forum. You have certainly found the right place if you planning on breeding these little critters. Since the forum started we have seen over 30 people successfully get them to spawn, so keep your fingers crossed!!!!!!

Enjoy, and welcome on board!

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"