Going away on holiday

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Going away on holiday

Post by McEve »

I'm going on a two weeks holiday, and I'm counting on my fingers wether I should just do a large water change before leaving, and let them fend for themselves the two weeks I'm gone, or - if I should leave instructions with a friend regarding feeding.

What do you think? Both alternatives are risky...
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

how about a big water change before you go. Then get your friend to come in two or three times.

Split the food up into 3 daily rations in small tubs. Or one for each tank.

i.e 3 tubs on each tank. Each time they are there they empty a tub into each tank.

bingo! :wink:
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

If it was me, I would want the least contact with an inexperienced person as possible. So... I would probably check the filter (to make sure it's not on the verge of clogging or anything), do a big water change and let a friend feed them. But I would leave very specific instructions and probably sort the food out into portions so there was no room for mistakes.

Oh... and I'd probably feed them less than normal to make sure the tank didn't get too dirty, too fast. :wink:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Thanks both, I'll make portions and put a note on each tank with very precise instructions.

I would probably check the filter (to make sure it's not on the verge of clogging or anything),
The filter broke down during the night! I discovered it just now :( The bacteria would probably be dead, so I'm not really sure if I should set up a new one and only leave the internal filter on while I'm gone, or set up a new one. Either way I'm bound to get a mini cycle now :evil:

Three days til I'm leaving and this happens, how's that for timing! Guess I should count myself lucky it didn't happen while I was gone
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

Well, at least that didn't happen while you were away!!!! :shock: With multiple tanks, you should be able to seed the filter again. Did you say there's two filters running in that tank? Will you still get a mini-cycle if the other filter is functional?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I will still get a minicycle as the bacteria in both filters are sharing the bioload. but, what I'll do is that I'll take the Eheim I've had going for almost two months from the tank with angelfry and set that up for the Zebras instead. Hopefully that should work.

The angelfry will have to move someplace... hmmmm there's never enough tanks :roll: But.. it might seem cruel, but if they don't make it I won't be as upset as if the Zebras don't make it!!
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

It's not cruel... just prioritising. I'm sure they'll all be fine. And whatever happens, you know and we know that you did the best you could do before going away.

I know that I have left my tanks for a couple weeks before WITHOUT going away! We all have those slack times for whatever reasons - life gets in the way, etc. You're making sure your tanks are tip top before going away. There's not much else you can do! Except r-e-l-a-x and enjoy your holidays! :wink:

Of course, you can always find an internet cafe while you're on your hols and check on your babies via your webcam!! :D
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I was thinking about doing that Mindy, but what if there's something wrong :shock: Me a 5 hour plane ride away, and I sit there and watch a dead baby floating past the cam :shock: :shock: :shock:

I guess I could always make an emergency call to somebody I know know what they're doing..... the local aquarium club or something... maybe I should sign up as member before leaving!

OMG, I think I'm going to have nightmares about this happening :lol:

I'm sure everything will be ok though...
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

The thing is McEve... if you see a dead fish, there's little you can do about it anyway! Just ring your friend that's feeding them and ask her to go over and scoop it out ASAP.

Enjoy your holiday. I'm sure it will all be fine. And if there's a little mishap, though it'd be unfortunate, it's just one of those things. It won't be the result of cruelty or neglect. You are taking all the precautions you can. No one, not even your fishes, could ask for more! :wink:

Now... get packing and have a good time!!
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

yes ma'am 8)

And thanks :D
KenW
Obsessed!!

Post by KenW »

Hi McEve,

If your adults and babies are eating pellet food you can try using an auto feeder ( the one made by eheim is pretty good and I've used mine on several occasion when I have been gone for 4 to 5 days). In your case all you would do is ask your friend to go by every few days and check that the feeder did not put in excess food. If it does you can ask them to remove the feeder and the excess food. The adults can go a few days without food. For babies you can have frozen baby brine shrimp cut into small cube portions so your friend can put one in everyday. This is just some ideas they may help.

With the problem that Barbie had recently with ich while she was on vacation, I wonder if it would be a good idea to raise the tank temp to 87 or 88 degree F. What do you think?

Ken
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

KenW wrote:With the problem that Barbie had recently with ich while she was on vacation, I wonder if it would be a good idea to raise the tank temp to 87 or 88 degree F. What do you think?

Ken
I already did that. That might prevent ich from developing.

I wouldn't dare trust anybody to get in the tank and remove excess food. I think I'll hang a note on each tank and break up frozen food in pieces the right size, and let them be fed only every two days.

That's my plan so far anyway. I'm still considering getting in touch with the local aquarium club and see if I can pay somebody to babysit them :)
KenW
Obsessed!!

Post by KenW »

Sounds like a good plan. If you can find a fish friend who has seen you do tank maintenance and know what they are doing that would be ideal, but that's probably rare.

Like you I don't know if I can trust anyone either to do that.

Ken
alevans
Groupie

Post by alevans »

Maybe I can offer some advice:

By virtue of my job i have to go away often, sometimes for just a night and sometimes for a week or more, and I use an autofeeder.

After extensive research and many £s I decided on the Fishmate F14. First of all it allows you to chose the time and what you wish to feed, and secondly it can go on the top cover or mounted on the side. Basically it's 14 compartments which then move over a hole. You can have 14 daily feeds, 7 twice daily feeds etc. It also has an airline connection to stop dampness spoiling the food.

I have 4 of these feeders and so far have had no problems.

I don't for one minute think that it's a perfect situation but it's adequate!

My mother in law to be pops in twice a week when we are away just to check that no disasters have taken place!

One of the interesting things is that our Zebras spawn when we are away, so perhaps we are too attentive when we are home!

My best advice is not to worry and enjoy your holiday!
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

The problem with automatic feeders is that there's one spot in each tank, under a stone, where the food needs to be placed to prevent it from flying all over the place and never settle, due to the current...

You and many others have found they spawn when there's nobody around to fiddle with the water, so maybe mine will too. It's been a dry spell here since the last failed attemt :(

I want babies :cry:

I will do my best to enjoy the holiday to the fullest, I really need one now. To tell the truth I'm quite exhausted - being selfemployed is not the same as being free to do what ever you want that's for sure :lol: