Lighting

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

nesolb
Obsessed!!

Lighting

Post by nesolb »

Hi all,

Does anyone use a Marine Blue Actinic tube for veiwing their Zebra's a night?

What kind of lighting is everyone using at the moment? How many hours a day do you have your lights on?

I'm currently converting a freshwater tropical set-up to house my zebra's, which I'll be getting in a couple of weeks, and I just have the standard Juwel lighting tubes that come with the tank.

Cheers
Damian
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

I only keep my lights on for a few hours when i get home, just so i have something to look at, i am also just using normal juwel lights, but i am not really the best person to answer this thread as i have only just started out myself!

Good luck with the Zeb tank! How many have you got?
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

I've got 19 coming at the end of this month, costing an arm but well worth it!!! :D

How many have you got shell231?
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

LOL i have the largest collection of zebs known to man!! Where you gettin 19 from? why u want that many? * Oh Yea I Have One Zeb!! hehe * soon to be 2 though :D
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

I'm getting then from Germany from a breeder. I have a 5 foot tank so I felt it necessary to get a large number of Zebra's, maybe I've overdone it with 19 but what the hey!!!!

Do you think I'm being greedy? :lol:

When will you be getting another Zeb? yours must be getting lonely on it's own!!
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

My next one is coming at the end of the month, i did try a few months back to buy 7 at once but it worked out way too expensive

With out being rude how much are you paying for these fish! it has got to be touching near on £2000
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

I've sent you a pm.
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

:D Read it ! :shock: :shock:
KenW
Obsessed!!

Post by KenW »

Damian,

I have a suggestion for you. Make sure you ask the breeder to send you zebs that are from different parents, otherwise you will have an inbreeding problem. You may want to ask how many breeding pairs they have and if they are from different parents.

ken
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the info. They're actually from three seperate breeders so I should have no inbreeding probs.

I could always swap a few with other keepers on this forum so we're expanding the gene pool.

Damian
KenW
Obsessed!!

Post by KenW »

excellent start,

your on your way.

Do you know how old they are?

Ken
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

They're all about 2" so they're about the same age as the ones that Rob was offering a couple of months ago. I can't remember what that was off the top.

Any ideas about the lighting?

Damian
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I've got 5000 kelvin 10 hours a day. But I'm also one of those that use substrate and large plants, which gives shelter to the fish in addition to caves, stones and bogwood.

I'm not so sure the light makes a big difference for the Zebra, for breeding or otherwise. My two groups are out and about in the open when the light is on and don't seem to be bother by it at all. The fry comes out more often when it's dark though, but it seems like they are learning from the adults and care less and less about it too. Just my personal observations.

More and more people are trying moonlight, but I haven't personally.
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

see my avatar - Cold cathode neon tubes :)

work a treat :)
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
nesolb
Obsessed!!

Post by nesolb »

So the Zebra's are quite adaptable when it comes to lighting. I think I'll give the marine blue actinic tube a try and see how they get on.

smithrc, I read your thread about the cold cathode tubes but I didn't think the kit would be big enough to accomodate a 5 ft tank; they do look nice though. :)