The Fish Room (Sump Filters)

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

Rob
Hypan-guru!

The Fish Room (Sump Filters)

Post by Rob »

Hi Guys.

Well here is the basic idea of the fish room, all is built apart from the sump. I have yet to connect it together and fill it up to see if the pipework leaks!!!
Image Image

The tanks are 34"x15"x15", in total 300l of tank water.

The sump holds 60l (without media), and I have a 5000l/h submerged pond pump.

This will cycle each tank about 12 times an hour, with high flow rate.

As I have never built a sump before, what is the best media to use and in what order.

There will also be an timed actuated valve, that will allow approx, 15-20 l a day automatic water change from a 600ll settling tank in the roof 8)

Can anyone forsee any other problems?

Cheers everyone

rob[/url]
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

Can't help but am totally intersted in seeing what other members say. I will be setting up a similar sump (in my soon to be fish room), but running one 180-200 gallon tank.
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

180-200 gal....nice.....hope you live on teh ground floor!! :lol: :wink:
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

I live on the top floor of a 15 story block.... will that be a problem??

Joking. I'm converting my garage which is completely concrete so weight issues wont be a problem. :lol:
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
Pete
Obsessed!!

Post by Pete »

I use floss for mechanical filtration and beneath that bioballs for biological filtration.

The floss I use is actually air conditioner filter material that you can buy out in the States for cheap$$, much cheaper than you'd pay for the same stuff at the LFS.

I did post some stuff about the filter I use on my 180 here: http://cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... highlight= but the pic links are now dead. Perhaps this evening I'll try to set up the pics again.
It's not an illusion, it just looks like one.
Pete
Obsessed!!

Post by Pete »

Aha, here be da pics..

Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!

I like the idea of using a seperte container full of floss to distribute the flow over the media. This will also give me more room for filter media.

As for the oterh filtration, as tou will see from the drawing, I plan on segregating th sump into 4 different areas, so the water flows up annd over one divide, and dovwn through the other. If I use your idea, I can have the floss, over the bioballs, then in the next chamber, sponge, and then some more floss for crystal clear water.

ANy other ideas for filter media, carbon...?
:idea:
Pete
Obsessed!!

Post by Pete »

I'm not a big fan of carbon.. Replacing it in a timely fashion gets too pricey if you're running anything much more than a 10 gal tank ;)

I'd rather spend the money on the water and do a water change (course you Brits not yet on meters are lucky buggas!).

Instead of segregating the sump that way, you could just have extra levels of containers. Easier than messin' around with silicone in the sump. Juster thought.

That puppy is the sole filter on my 180, which at times has housed up to 70 adult Lake Malawi Mbuna.. Works like a charm and cheap as heck.
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

Pete...one word.......quality!!!!

Thats a brilliant setup man.... suitable for my big tank.....I feel a right click and save moment coming on. :? :twisted: I owe you a beer :lol:
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

looks like the wifes tupperware is about to get the chop :twisted: :twisted:
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

Rob wrote:looks like the wifes tupperware is about to get the chop :twisted: :twisted:
And it may be more than that for the chop if I get caught. I already had "were's the kettle" 'debate' tonight. :roll:
Pete
Obsessed!!

Post by Pete »

:D

I've always had a soft spot for colanders, myself.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Any ideas on whether or not the heaters should be placed in the base of the sump, or individual tanks.

Rob
Pete
Obsessed!!

Post by Pete »

I don't think there's any hard'n' fast rules..

I'd guess that heating in the tanks would be slightly more electricity-efficient although I haven't bothered to try to work out how much of a difference it might make..

You could also consider that if the pump quit for any reason, the tanks would at least still be maintaining the correct temperature if you had heaters in the tanks.

Personally, however, I'd worry more about the loss of filtration than the loss of heat. Recently one of my heaters went on the blink and quit heating but I didn't notice for a couple days and the water temperature went down to 70f. Neither the discus or L46s seemed particularly upset and had the filter stopped I woulda noticed a lot sooner anyway.

The other side of the discussion is that you could potentially use less total heaters if you put the heaters in the sump rather than in every tank..

Overall, it's an aesthetic thing for me putting my heaters in my sump.
Matrix99

Post by Matrix99 »

Hi Rob;

Keep in mind that Carbon take care of Color & Odor of water but also deplete Trace Elements from the water(That fish needs to consume). So its good and not so good to use. :(