Need Caves?

If you are a private seller, then why not give this a shot? It's free and might even have some of those zebra thingies! You can also post requests for exchanging or loaning fish. Please refrain from posting opinions or irrelevancies in this section.

Zebrapleco.com can not take ANY responsibility for items advertised or sold in this section as they are free classifieds. Members not following the Forum Rules however will have their Posts deleted.

NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

Got my caves 2day!!! well pleased :wink:
andyj
Groupie

Post by andyj »

Neo,

$35/£20 for 2... and only a week to deliver... bargain ;)

How did you send the payment to Lyretail !??

Cheers,
Andy
andyj
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

i used paypal
alevans
Groupie

Post by alevans »

I have just picked up my caves. They are of excellent design and construction. I'm very very impressed, not only by the caves, but also Lyretail's professionalism.

Many thanks.
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

This pic is for you buddy, the little one loves it :wink: no more sharing with its brother/sister...

Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

They look amazing!! are they the perfect diamentions for zebras? if they are i will def buy some?
LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Post by LyreTail »

Thank you all- I can make them any internal dimension you wish. I have now shipped well over 30 caves to about 8 different people in the past three or 4 weeks. All have seemed pleased. I was a bit worried as I am not really somebody that does this stuff much. These caves have sort of eclipsed all my other projects like my automatic livebeaer fry trap tanks and my external CO2 reactor. I finally finished my fry trap tanks today complete with home made pine stands

http://groups.msn.com/LyreTailsAquarium ... hotoID=634

$20 USD - Hypancistrus sized cave ( Queens and Zebras )
Internal Length is now just shy of 6 inches (14 cm)
Internal width 3.0 to 3.5 ( about 1.5 inches)
Internal height 2.5 cm ( 1 inch)

I have just finished my Prototype of the removable top version. I think I can offer this model for just $5 more than a solid cave. I will post a picture soon. The top is held on with gravity and 2 nylon pegs to keep it from slipping sidways. Drilling the holes has proven to be much harder than I thought. The slate wants to split. I just need to iron out my manufacturing technique a little more so I do not scrap so many. It may just require a different type of drill bit.
Last edited by LyreTail on Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Post by LyreTail »

I was able to get the top with less than a 1 mm light gap at the top when looking through it in the sunlight. In the tank I can not see light through it. I am currently testing the Nylon pegs to see if the last in the aquarium. I should be able to tell in a week, if they start to deteriorate or not.

here is the picture of this version. I will offer them for $20 with the front porch as long as the test goes well.

In the picture they are still partially wet from rinsing dust off of them. This version should replace the lift gate design. I will not be making any more of those, since they are too labor intensive

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UACZAnsZ ... 4059972608

Update August 13th 2005 : the Nylon pegs work fine even in an acid tank :D I have sent out approximately 10 of these newly designed caves so far in the past week with more orders already for next week. Any feed back from those that get them will be much appreciated, as I am always trying to improve on the design.

My acrylic cave design should be completed soon. I have some design details to address still.
Last edited by LyreTail on Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Post by LyreTail »

New Acrylic model
Something I am trying it in increase the width to 6 cm and the length to 15 cm but the door is slightly smaller at about 2.5 cm high and 3 cm wide. I am not sure if this is better or not - I would like to improve these designs to maximize their use and benefit.

This acrylic one I tried to sand and rough up to make it look a little more "natural" Slate definately will always look better, but I suppose looks are not everything. acrylic is safer and longivity is better since it will not split or break when dropped. Slate sometimes splits over time when submerged in water.

100% cast acrylic ( same stuff tanks are made from) cemented together with methylene chloride solvent ( just like acrylic aquariums are done)

I still need to work out a method of accessing the inside of the cave to kick the male out when you want to. The one in the picture above is completely bonded together
-----------

Just a note. As per several persons request, I have increased the total length of all my caves from now on to nearly 15 cm internal length dimension. This is the maximum I can go with my current supply of slate, but I will honor special requests for additional price. I just made a special request cave that was 8 inches internal length - a little over 20 cm.
Caesars
Obsessed!!

Post by Caesars »

Hi Lyre,
I would be interested in 3-4 caves, live in Manchester, UK. Can you give me some details (price, payment methods etc?) Thanks
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

isnt 6" caves too long??? maybe its just me used to the ones i have but i dont fancy using 6" caves :?
10x L046 Zebs for now, more coming soon ;) 6x L199 Plecos, 6x L129 Plecos, 45x Cardinals, corys & shrimps

Check My Blog - http://zebrapleco.net
LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Post by LyreTail »

People have been asking for the longer caves - apparently Adam said something about "more spawns in a cave that is twice the length of the male than the shorter ones" I did not see the conversation - only heard it from other people.

I'll make the caves any length / width. height you want :D
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

Yea adam never said it on the forum it was in a pm to me!!!!

Got the cave today look really really good thank you!
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

i think i have also read it else where on planetcatfish ( dont quote that though )
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

LyreTail wrote:People have been asking for the longer caves - apparently Adam said something about "more spawns in a cave that is twice the length of the male than the shorter ones" I did not see the conversation - only heard it from other people.

I'll make the caves any length / width. height you want :D
http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtop ... c&start=15

Third post from top. This seems to be a good rule of thumb