Setting Up a 4' x 1' x 1' tank

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Setting Up a 4' x 1' x 1' tank

Post by LyreTail »

Hello
I just joined this group as I have been trying for a couple of years to spawn my 5 - L46's ( I had six until a few months ago :( )

I have decided to give them a more spacious abode as I thin a longer tank will do them good.

A couple of questions for setup

Ideal cave sizes? What size PVC tubes are best

How about filtration? I have contrived a PVC river tank style setup with foam sponges on one end of the tank and a submersible Hagen Aquaclear power head on the other end of the tank. But the powerhead I have is only about 7 times turnover per hour. If I lower the water level a little it will get up to ten times tank turnover per hour
Am I better off with 2 powerheads or just one?
How about height of the powerhead - should it be at the top of the water or blasting the pleco caves.

I have tried blasting the plecos before and they never came out of their caves. They did not seem to like the heavy flow rates at all.

This tank has a very thin layer of sand ( 2 cm) and larger polished rocks strew randomly around. I plan on some Java Fern on bog wood and Anubius plants for low light , high temp conditions
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Lyretail,

Wellcome to the forum.
Reading Black writing is a lot easier on the old eyes :wink:
A lot of the answers to your questions are answered elsewhere, but it means a lot of reading !!!!!!!!!! so I'll try my best.
If youre serious about breeding Zebras , I can only tell you what works for me.

1)Bare bottomed tank ie no substrate
2)Temp about 84F
3)Water turnover about 5 to 6 times using a powerhead powering a seperated undergravel, covering a quarter of the floor area, using "clay balls" as used in pond filters .
4)Slate caves (not pvc pipes)See further info on forum topic on cave making . Cave sizes are also described
5) Powerhead a couple of inches below the top of the tank
6) Lots of different foods
7) Lastly ensure you have both sexes

Regards,
Des.
LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Post by LyreTail »

OK - thanks for that. After reading the cave thread, I realized that was likely my problem all along. My caves were way too large.

You could not pay me to use a UGF ever again LOL.
My setup is much easier to keep clean and maintain. Many plecos really like the thin layer of sand Including the zebras. I have been keeping and observing these small Hypancistrus species for many years, but I could never get them to spawn. This is my last attempt to do so, and then I sell them to somebody that wants to spawn them. I spawn fish - that is my passion. Whatever does not spawn gets sold
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Hi Curtis! Welcome to the board! I have a post Here that shows my set up and what not, with the parameters. Hopefully we can get your guys going too! Like I said before, don't give up too soon!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Lyretail,
You could not pay me to use a UGF ever again LOL.
I dont use the "undergravel" ( which has Hortag, which are aerated clay balls) in the whole tank, it is only the filter system in a quarter of the tank, and powered with a venturi powerhead, gives me filtration (with easy cleaning), water turnover and aeration all in one go. The zebras "live" in the other three quarters of the tank which is bare bottomed ( so that I can see and remove any uneaten food easily)with bogwood , caves etc.
After many years of trial and error, I came up with this system which works for me in my many plec tanks, without the use of an external filter.
I have also tried sand, but some of the food types I use were easily disguised in the sand, and I couldnt risk ,the tank being polluted, with the possibility of losing some very expensive plecs.
As the saying goes" If it works for you, dont change it"

Regards,
Des.
LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Post by LyreTail »

Hello Barbie - thank for giving me this link - lots of great info here. I am still surprised at the size of those caves - but I shall go to work remaking all my caves and decor. Right now my 40 gal has some kribs in it to keep it cycled - waiting for me to perfect my setup. I suspect I can get it all done in the next two weeks and start moving my L46 to a new home
LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Post by LyreTail »

Update

Caves are made

And River Tank Filter completed

Next question I have is there any importance to placement of caves in the tank. I made 4 caves

I sould be able to assemble everything into the tank in a couple of days after making sure silicone is cured completely
LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Post by LyreTail »

this is not the best picture but this is what it looks like

Lied
Groupie

Post by Lied »

Looks nice ;) what kind of gravel do you use?
Cute ^_^
LyreTail
Obsessed!!

Post by LyreTail »

well that is a thin 1 to 2 cm layer of black sand - the River tank PVC tubes are also coated in the black sand, so they make the gravel look thicker than it really is. There was some red Flourite left in the tank from breaking it down from a fully planted tank- that is was you see speckled all over - it migrated to the top very quickly in the vigorous flow rate. I sort of like the look of it - less boring than black sand

There are Java Ferns tied to slate with fishing line - slate caves and polished river rocks. In the center is a large piece of bog wood with java fern, java moss and African water fern growing on it.