Male Or Female??

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Male Or Female??

Post by NeoCult »

Hi do you think this leopard is male or female?

thanks

Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Neo,

I'm guessing really but I think it could be a male. A close up side profile shot would help. Have you noticed any odontode growth on the body?
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

Hi m8 cant say i see any odontode growth on it at all
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

he/she aint looking too good tonight :cry: bought it this afternoon and it semed ok untill now, really aint moving much and seems to be a bit stressed, at one point it was resting on gravel with its mouth kinda in the air, hopefully in the morning it will be ok...
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Neo,

Sorry to hear that your L134 is not doing so well. :( You say that it's mouth is up in the air have you noticed if it is breathing heavily. From the pictures you posted the fish appears to be healthy looking. I doubt that any disease/parasite could take hold that fast. Something appears to have gone wrong with the acclimatisation process and the fish is obviously stressed. Some more details would be useful in helping to isolate the problem.

Has your tank been set up recently and has it been allowed to fully cycle?
Have you tested your water parameters;ammonia,nitrite,PH etc.
What was the PH of the water at the shop where you purchased the fish and what is the PH in your tank.
In addition to the L134 were any other fish added to the tank?

I have had the very same thing happen to me with a couple of zebras, they were so stressed that they virtually lost all of their colouring. Luckily they pulled through.

I hope that your L134 pulls through, keep us posted on developments.

Adam
NeoCult
Mentally Certified!

Post by NeoCult »

Hi Adam

yeah it was breathing a bit heavily, no other fish were added only it, its in with 3 discus, 18 cardinals, a female cacatoide and a panda corydoras, the water is fine, fully matured and at 82 degrees F
today it seems much better, hiding under a rock but looking ok, its not got its mouth in the air as so too speak any more either so im hoping all is ok now

cheers for the help i appreciate it :wink:
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Neo,

I'm glad to hear that your L134 is doing much better. :D

Sounds like it was just a bit stressed out, this can happen if they are not acclimitised slowly. The "drip feed" method, used by many memebers here, of acclimatising fish is the best way to prevent them from getting too stressed.

Place your fish in a bucket with the water it came in and slowly trickle water from your tank into the bucket using an airline with a valve on it to control the flow. You can add an airstone and heater if required, I always use an airstone and occasionally a heater+guard to prevent excessive heat loss.

Adam