My tank

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

Lied
Groupie

My tank

Post by Lied »

Just wanted to show you my tank ;)

My Ancistrus girl

2 of my 5 corydoras paleatus
Cute ^_^
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Lied,

Nice looking tank, what does the writing across the hood say?

I don't mean to be critical but I would seriously consider a larger sized tank if you are serious about the zebras, it would be rather cramped in there. Perhaps it's just the picture angle or something and your tank is really a six footer. :lol:

Adam
Lied
Groupie

Post by Lied »

Hey Adam, the writing across the hood says 'The animals can bite' :lol:

I thought so you were going to say that about my tank, but I at first asked if I really can keep zebras in that tank, its 60 centimetres in length and about 70 litres, and people here and at www.planetcatfish.com told me that it is possible to keep 2 or 3 zebbies in that tank, but not very much other fish like only neontetra's. Thatswhy I'm still a bit in doubt about it, because then I have to get rid of a few fish...
Btw about the size, remember that I want to buy the zebs young, and I herad that they are in 2/3 years mature and fully grown. I'n about 2/3/4 years I am planning to go live on my own, and then I can decide myself about the size of my tank ;) :D ... my parents don't want a tank that's bigger than this :( .
But anyway I'm still thinking about it and I am not completely sure, I'm willing to wait a few years for the zebbies but I'm afraid that they are even more expensive then... or am I wrong?
If I decide to don't get the zebs, I'm planning to try breed my 5 corydoras paleatus, such great little catfish :) .
Cute ^_^
Adam

Post by Adam »

Apologies for not paying attention. :oops:

If you are planning on thinning down on some of the other tank occupants I guess that you could house 2 to 3 young zebras in there. I really would consider parting with the other bottom dwellers especially the ancistrus. Young zebras can be even more shy than adults and they are likely to be out competed for food by the other bottom dwellers.

The likelyhood is that zebras will be even more expensive in a couple of years from now. Unless of course private breeders are able to some how supply the ever increasing demand for them.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Adam
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

I noticed that there is not much water movement!.....Maybe adding a powerhead could really help them out prosper! It will increase the Oxygen levels as well! Now some of your plants might not prosper with the increase water movement, so be careful....its a catch 22 there!

But cool setup! Do you have any CO2 in that tank? ANd I would have to agree with Adam on taking out the others, especially your bottom dwellers......

A sad story happened at a fish store in which I saw a zebra in a community tank with a bunch of cory cats all around and I noticed the zebra didn't look plump and healthy! So i talked to one of the managers about the zebra and he said he had it for 6 months and was doing good. I told him he should be careful because it might be out competed for food and he shrugged me off....I month later I went back and he said he died and didn't know why!!! DumbA$$!!!!!!

So maybe take that into consideration, but if you see him eating than use your own judgement.

Sorry for rambling!!!!!
Lied
Groupie

Post by Lied »

@ Adam: please don't apologize I have patience ;) . About the other tank inhabitants, I'm planning to if I get the zebras, I will only keep my ancistrus albino (which is right now 2 cm) and me 9 neon tetras. So if I get them, the tank invoirement will be about the zebbies.

@jerms5enz :P :I know there is not much water movement, I can my juwel filter install in different water movements. But I have an oxygen machine with the filter, so then I can make sure there is enough oxygen.
Don't apologize for cursing and stuff I do it all the time :P a very sad story about that poor zebbie :( some people just do't get it do they!

Anyway what I'm just wanted to say, is that I want all my fish to be happy, and especially the zebs, because if they die I'll flip out :? 120 euros a piece...damn
Cute ^_^