An Old Blue Eye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are a private seller, then why not give this a shot? It's free and might even have some of those zebra thingies! You can also post requests for exchanging or loaning fish. Please refrain from posting opinions or irrelevancies in this section.

Zebrapleco.com can not take ANY responsibility for items advertised or sold in this section as they are free classifieds. Members not following the Forum Rules however will have their Posts deleted.

Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Jools sent me this link.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/lo ... thumbs.php

click on species 6.

So not a Blue eyed panaque, but nice all the same!

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
AndyAps.com
Obsessed!!

Post by AndyAps.com »

hi all,
sorry i havent been on, I have been ill with MUMPS!!!! my man glands were like tennis balls...........but never mind that.
nah i havent bought any tom.....the last time i visited viscum there were 4 in the tank...........do you think they are definatley blue eyes?
might buy the last one if its still there next time i go........or did you buy it????
ta
success is a journey full of unbelievable experiance NOT a destination with an unbelievable experiance.
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Post by Tom2600 »

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the mumps, seems more and more people are getting it these days! :shock:

The plec I saw definitely had blue eyes, but the body (just like your pictures) was a dark red/brown. I have not seen a plec like this before. IMO it is not the traditional blue eyed plec.

I didn't buy it as it didn't look happy in the tank and didn't want to risk it.

The L134 was a beautiful fish, although a little highly priced at £30.

To be honest, Viscum have an excellent range of oddball fish, but it is quite highly priced shop imo. It was a shame to see so many beautiful discus wasting away, mainly because they have £100+ price tags! :(

Let us know if you buy it, I was very tempted. I would be great to see it develop in someones tank. :D

Cheers

Tom
AndyAps.com
Obsessed!!

Post by AndyAps.com »

hi tom
i agree on the prices at viscum, (then again if you have noticed the 2 Porsche and ferarri with private plates you know why the prices are high)
it was that viscum centre where i bought my 11 zebra's from......the zebras were actually reasonably priced but everything else seems to be on the steep side.
the prices of the discus are absoutley scandolous, such beautiful fish too. some of the best i have seen but way too expensive.
the main reason i return is cos i find they sometimes do good deals (eg 3 clown loach for £12) when they are between £6-£9 in my other loacals) also service always seems to be good (free tea coffe etc) then again i expect good service when i spend over £1000 on zebra plecos lol
i doubt i will buy the blue eye as im concentrating on zebra's at mo. would be nice tho lol
success is a journey full of unbelievable experiance NOT a destination with an unbelievable experiance.
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Post by Tom2600 »

Hi Andy.

LOL Yes I did notice the sports car style display area when I visited.

I picked up two of their 3" red dragon discus about 4-5 weeks ago. I got both for £80 which is a rip off but they are lovely fish. However, they were riddled with some bacterial infection which only developed a few days after bring them home. :shock: :( I was quite annoyed while I was there as I saw a young couple buying four young discus for the best part of £200 and obviously didn't know anything about how to care for discus. The staff still sold them. A couple of discus were from the same tank mine were from so I'm guessing there all sadly dead now :evil:

Thankfully after a couple of careful (and stressful) weeks treatment mine are seemingly happy and healthy and eat like pigs! :wink:

I agree about some fish being at a good price though. To be honest the price of some of the plecs is quite reasonable. I just didn't want to risk buying this mystery blue eye. I'm quite good now, if a fish looks ill or I don't know what a fish is (or will become) I don't buy.
AndyAps.com
Obsessed!!

Post by AndyAps.com »

thats good that you dont buy on impulse.
i agree with them selling to people that no nothing tho.........i saw a young lad ther recomend a family with a new tank to buy crabs, shrimp, snake head and a 2 shoals of glowlight tetras and guppys...............it doesnt take a scientist right. where you from?
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Post by Tom2600 »

Its taken me 15+ years of fishkeeping to even begin to resist the impulse buy. lol

I am based just West of Hull. Hull is a complete back water for good aquatics although we do have a very large wholesaler called KKC who can get me pretty much anything. It was from KKC I got my first zebras. Sadly even they can't source any now. Their marine selection is possibly the best I have ever seen! Everytime I visit them I have the should I start keeping marine (again) debate. :lol:

I therefore tend to travel around. You can't beat Wharf aquatics when they are fully stocked. Viscum is also up there although staff knowledge (from those I have spoken to) is somewhat inferior.
AndyAps.com
Obsessed!!

Post by AndyAps.com »

yeah i agree with you about warf aquatics, they built me my custom 110gallon tank. friendly helpful informative staff and an excellent shop. i like viscum too but like you say staff are not of the higher learning ladder lol. if you can get to leeds then ANIMAL HOUSE on the birstall business park is good. it is a superstore so some of the equipment prices are higher but they have some very nice fish when fully stocked.
there is also anothe rin the same area but i forgot the name lol.
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Post by Tom2600 »

I use to visit Animal House a lot but my last 2-3 visits last year put me off. Lots of ill/even dead fish. But I agree, their selection is often very impressive. Lots of dwarf cichlids and plecs.

Caldervalleykoi is worth a visit a few junctions (of the M62) west of Animal house. It takes a bit of finding. I got my L134s and L260s from there at a very good price. Last time I called though, they were having big problems getting any plecs at all following the Brazil ban.