McEve - your web cam

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
grimreaper
Forum Follower

McEve - your web cam

Post by grimreaper »

I find your pictures of these lovely fishes fascinating. Thank you for sharing them with us. I noticed a couple of nights ago you had put in a piece of cucumber? (I believe) in your tank for them to eat. Your fish ate the skin completely away. May I ask was it raw or had it been partly cooked / cooked?
Regards
Grim
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Hi grimreaper, I'm glad you enjoy the cam :D

it was a zucchini (Courgette(?), Squash), and I do parboil it before feeding. Boil it too much and it goes bad very quickly, plus no nutrition left, boil it too little and it seem to be too hard to digest. I let the water boil, then put the veggie in, let it boil up again, then turn the heat off. leave in the water for a few minutes

The adults didn't care too much about it until I got babies in there. The babies need veggies, and I guess inspired the adults as they're all over it too now!
grimreaper
Forum Follower

Post by grimreaper »

Hello McEve
Thank you so much for your reply. I was so surprised as most of the info. on the net seemed to say that they do not eat veg. I'll give it a go with mine. I have a large fish house that I breed some marine fish / shrimps and keep my Zebras in a large redundant marine tank, now converted to fresh water. I have set up a small radio camera that has night vision so that I can watch the Zebras indoors. When I go into the fish house they are always hiding but this little camera is an eye opener. I used to turn off the pumps when I fed them but having watched them with this camera they do not come out until the flow restarts and there is food flying everyware. Two nights ago the male fended off one of the females that was trying to get into his cave. She has not tried again but we will see. Thank you again as I would never have thought of "spying" on them so to speak
Last edited by grimreaper on Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Grim
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

grimreaper wrote: I was so surprised as most of the info. on the net seemed to say that they do not eat veg.
I know, I didn't think they did either, until I witnessed an episode involving a broccoli. They eat that too :)

The camera has tought me a lot about the Zebra. I get to see them when they think nobody's around, so they behave according to what's natural to them :wink:

I've seen them attacking and eating snails too, which I never would have thought them doing before seeing it either.

Sounds like you might have some luck with your group soon too! When a lady shows interest she usually gets her way in the end :lol: Good luck!
grimreaper
Forum Follower

Post by grimreaper »

When a lady shows interest she usually gets her way in the end
Yes I know the feeling :wink: I let you know if there are any developments
Regards
Grim