My l236 and Am I the only one here from U.S.?

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
jy13131

My l236 and Am I the only one here from U.S.?

Post by jy13131 »

I just got my first 2 semi-adult l236's. THey are surprisingly NOT shy and of course VERY beautiful!! I would appreciate any advice on their care. I am hoping I have a pair but impossible to confirm now. They are likes to hang out in her cave. They are in a 20 gal with a pair of blue rams. The LFS told me to feed them bloodworms as they are mostly carniverous. What temp do they love? And what is the best way to take pics to post? I love your website!
l236 from the US
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Jy13131

Hi there. Glad you found the site, and glad you like it. :lol:

As far as being the only one from the US, I am glad to say you are one of many, we have quite a fair number from accorss the water. I cannot pretend to be able to give you any advice on your L236, but there are many here who can, so hold tight, and I'm sure someone will provide you with some advice.

We have recently had some discussions on the fish being sold as L236 as there seems to be a huge variance in opinion. Do you have any pics of the fish you have? Could be handy, and help us out a bit with Id of others.

Cheers

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
KenW
Obsessed!!

Post by KenW »

Hi Jy13131,

Here are a few pics of my L236s, this is what I received as L236. Not sure if they are truly L236.

Ken
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

Hey Jy13131
I am from Los Angeles CA and here are my L236...I have a total of five that look like this one...
http://www.plecofanatics.com/gallery/sh ... 501&page=1

And I have two that look like this one
http://www.plecofanatics.com/gallery/sh ... 501&page=1

I also have two that look like Kens but Im not sure if they are L236??? Big Discussion here!!!! But anyways I keep my at around 85deg and feed them bloodworms and carnivore seeking tablets.

I used to keep them with my L46 but too much of a risk!!! So now they get their own tanks....Ph dosen't really matter but I keep mine about 7.2-8 depends on if its the "rainy season" or not. Just give them alot of oxygen (w/ current) , clean water (weekly water changes) and caves so they can hopefully spawn!!!
jy13131

Post by jy13131 »

Thank you for the info. Yes I would like to take pics, not sure the best way to take them without taking them out of the tank.

The good news is that they are doing beautifully-eating, out most of the time and enjoying each others company. They look most like jerms5555 first set of pics. They don't look so much like kens. As far as the coloring, and perhaps it is just the picture, mine are more cylearly black and WHITE and the shape is not nearly as "squat". More long and sleek. And again, perhaps that is just because of age etc. I am a newbie! Head to tail my fish are 21/2 and 3 inches. The fish store said they were wild caught. They are from a store with a long history of specializing in fish that are not readily available in this area.

SO I will work on getting pics so perhaps we can continue to work on identifying these little fishies! Thanks again!
l236 from the US
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi jy13131,

My L236 are also similar in appearance to that of Jerms' one in the first link. Jerms is right when he says that the subject of L236 has been debated quite a bit here, specifically identification. I have 16 that started out sharing with some zebras but that didn't work out so they are in my community tank for the time being. They have absolutely no problems competing for food infact they out compete the corries and other bottom dwellers for food and have filled out nicely in the month or so that I have had them. I have found that they will eat anything from flake to frozen foods, their favourite food is sinking carnivore tablets. The corries don't get a look in when I feed the carnivore tabs, they don't seem to be too keen on algae wafers but they still have a nibble. They are voracious feeders and are no where near as shy as zebras at feeding time and will happily feed out in the open.

Adam