female trapped!

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Barbie

Post by Barbie »

IME, if the male has his tail out the door, he doesn't have eggs in behind him. I've had it take as long as a month of having the female trapped for them to be successful. Patience is the key they tell me. Of course I've never had any patience, so I wouldn't know what happened in my case ;).

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Tariq
Obsessed!!

Post by Tariq »

i shined with a torch(sory i couldnt resist)but as far as i can see i dont see alot and his tail is quite often haning out now.does this mean they maybe were like practising?or did i maybe scared them by my torch and camera yesterday?and if i leave them alone will they go at it again?

Des i am not sure but the female doesnt seem slimmer to me i might be wrong ofcourse,i didnt pay alot of atention last week to the fiish to see if there were some changes,this femlae that was trapped seemed quite fat just behind the belly togheter with another one i just noticed a few minutes ago?
if they were eggbound is it just behind the belly i mean stomach?
thanks barbie and des and mceve
- 10Xadult L-46(4males, 6females)+fry
- 10Xyoung L-46(4-5 cm)
- 5Xyoung L-46(3,5 cm)
-22XDiscus(7breedingpairs)
-1xl260
-20Xcorysterbai
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Tariq,

When a female is eggbound/fullof eggs, she is a lot bigger just behind the pectoral fins and also on the "underbelly". After she has laid , she gets slimmer, once again.
I will try and find a picture for you.

Regards,
Des.
Tariq
Obsessed!!

Post by Tariq »

i didnt find any eggs but there are 2 females constantly near the opening of a another cave with another male,but one of the females is pretty smal,l just over 2 inches but her belly is pretty thick.does this mean anything??
thanks
- 10Xyoung L-46(4-5 cm)
- 5Xyoung L-46(3,5 cm)
-1xl260
-20Xcorysterbai
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Tariq

It is a good sign that the females are hanging around the mouth of the cave, although at 2" I'd be surprised if she is egg bound. That said two of my females are around 2.5" and spawn quite frequently but they are mature fish.

Have you any idea what age the fish are?

Des is spot on with the identification after a fish has spawned, the females can look far slimmer, and there is also usually a redening around the vent.

good luck

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Tariq
Obsessed!!

Post by Tariq »

i don't now how ola they are,but i just tried to measure the female and my guess is she is about 2.3,and she also behaves like a female.
- 10Xyoung L-46(4-5 cm)
- 5Xyoung L-46(3,5 cm)
-1xl260
-20Xcorysterbai