New user

Hmmm...what else can I say!
Kev
Groupie

New user

Post by Kev »

Hi all,
New to this forum, i have 10 L333's and 5 L236's (soon to be 10). I live in a little place called Skelmersdale in the north west of ENGLAND. I spent a week in the Rio Xingu last year and it was the best place in the world, splashing around in the river all day is like dying and going to God's place. Just thought i'd say hello and hopefully give and recive help :D .

Kev
Im off to the Xingu put my dinner in the oven!!!
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Kev

Glad you found the forum, I'm sure ou wil lfind it useful, and be able to contribute loads.

I see you have some L236, not an easy fish to get hold of. Have you had any luck spawning them yet?

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Kev
Groupie

Post by Kev »

Hi rob thank's for the welcome, ive only had the 236's for a month or so, so no luck as yet :wink: . I have a 270gl ray tank with a 160gl sump/filter, which has a large area for anything that i might want to put in there, so when i get the other 5 i might put all 10 i there with a load of breeding cave's and let them get on with it :D . Want me to let you know when my friend get's them in his shop??

Kev
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

HI kev

Definately, I think there are a few people here who would bite your arm for for a 236 !!!

Rob
Kev
Groupie

Post by Kev »

that's funny cos i would have there's for some Zebra's :D :D .

Kev
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Kev,

Wellcome on board.
I too am a fan of all types of Hypancistrus and have quite a few different types L046, L129, L201,L260 ,L270,L316,3 different types of L333 and some I bought labelled and imported as L173 but which turn out to be ones sold elsewhere as L236(false).
Have had a couple of L046 spawns, one L046 and one L201 spawn in progress at the moment.
Are you the same Kev who posts on Planet Catfish?.
Do you have the genuine L236 with a white background bodycolour and narrow black stripes as the photos on PC? Maybe you can post some pictures under fish Photos. I have a few photos there under L333.

Regards,
Des.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Kev and welcome, hope you find the forum helpful. :D

:shock: You've been to the Xingu. If you don't mind me asking, how much did the trip cost? Looks like Des and I might have to make a trip out there to get some L250 and L236. :lol:

Adam
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hmmmm.....Adam.........Aren't you forgetting someone!!! :lol: :lol:

I think an educational trip to the xingu would really help me with the enw website!!! :lol:
Adam

Post by Adam »

My Apologies Rob :oops: , perhaps we should arrange a trip for all those who can go someday. It certainly would be educational and if it will help with the new website then it will have to be sooner rather than later. :wink:
Kev
Groupie

Post by Kev »

hi all the trip cost about £2000 i think, that was everythng from jab's to flight's to food. you really need to know someone over there or you'll just be stuck in an airport :( . and be prepared to be taking internal flight's at 3 o'clock in the mornin and then sitting in the airport for 6 hour's waiting for someone to meet you there. there's a lot of crap that go's with it but it's great fun there's nothing like getting in the river and catching a 10" gold nugget with your hand's. ive said on other forum's it's a good thing that Zebra's have been given a chance to recoup number's, we spent a week in the river and my mate only seen one in the river and i never seen any, we seen load's of nugget's, mango's and all the other stuff. each passing fisherman never had more than 3 zebra's but load's of everything else.

Kev
Adam

Post by Adam »

Sounds just like a regular holiday, the waiting about in airports bit for hours on end. :x I thought that it would have cost quite a bit more than £2000, I think just the experience of the trip would make the "hardships" bearable.

I had heard that shortly before the zebra ban fishermen were only catching a few zebras in a whole days fishing. It certainly looks like the species has been severely over fished. I think the problem was down to exporters paying the fishermen up to 5 times more for a zebra than say a gold nugget. I guess if you were a poor fisherman trying to eke out an existence you would go after the zebras as they are worth a lot more.

Adam
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

There have certainly been alot of things contributing to the depletion of zebras over recent years, not just over fishin. Gold mining in adjacent areas results in mercury in the water, aand I think it was about 3 yeasr ago, there was a huge alae bloom that apparently wiped out miles of the xingu, and resultantly it'a inhabitants.

I might do a little diggin on this one and see if there is any info for the "In The Wild" forum.

rob
Kev
Groupie

Post by Kev »

i think Oliver Lucanis has a expedition going in november and the cost is about $4500, i seem to remember someone telling me.
this is what they look like after just being caught from the river :D .

Kev
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

OK....now I'm jealous!! :? :shock:

Perfect in every way...
grimreaper
Forum Follower

Post by grimreaper »

Hello Kev
Congratulations on such a wonderfull trip. Were you able to tell what the river's flow rate was where the Zebras were caught.
Regards
Grim