We have 6 baby Zebras!!!

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

alevans
Groupie

We have 6 baby Zebras!!!

Post by alevans »

Just back from a weekend away to find 6 little wrigglers! Based on pictures on this website are approx 5 days old but they are out in the main tank and no longer in the cave. Is this normal? It's an all Zebra tank (6 males and 1 female, I think) and none of the adults seem in the slightest bit interested.

We are of course delighted with the happy event but need some advice especially on feeding the little ones after the yolk sack disappears.

Many thanks in advance!

Update!

Of the six only 4 look alive :-(

All of this took place yesterday and this morning only the 2 dead fry are visible.

Has anybody ever seen the male pick up fry and return them to the cave or seen other adults eat the escapee fry?

Any help greatly appreciated!
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Alevans,

It is best when finding fry still with their yolk sacks in the main tank, to put them in a floating fry container in the same tank. This will prevent predation.
It is not normal but maybe due to the male being disturbed by another occupant in the tank or due to a minor scuffle in the cave.
Regarding food any fine granular food will do. As said earlier it is easier to do this in a small container than polluting the main tank with lots of powdered food. For more info, see "First time Zebra Dad".

Regards,
Des
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

If they are around 5 days old, they may well have ventured out of the cave and have returned of their own accord.

As Des says however, the male could be young and inexperienced.

The best bet would be to ensure that there is enough food about for them to scavange. Make sure you remove all uneated food the next moring if you feed tham at night.

The fry are usually safe from other adult fish, Ihave only one male that causes any problems and it is quite unusual.

If the fry are still in tehre, then they will probsably come out at night when the lights are off to feed.

If things have gone wrong and youhave lost the fry, try not to be too dissapointed, it happens quite alot with first spawns. If it is your first spawn you have done well to get any fry at all as the eggs are often unfertile.

You have done exceptionally well getting them this far so well done.

We will all keep our fingures crossed.

Oh, one last thing, if you have sand as a substate, make sure the top surfce layer is always kept hoovered, as I have found fatalities increase if the tank substrate is not pristine.

Rob :wink:
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
alevans
Groupie

Post by alevans »

After a few days away I have just come home and there in front of our eyes in broad daylight was a little Zebra no longer than 1cm and length and very much alive!!! We are over the moon!!!!!

Rob you are the guru and you were sooo right!

We have a long way to go but a least we know we have things set up about right!
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Ha Ha

There cunning little devils, and can hide away for weeks. Congrats Alun, you deserve it mate!!!! :lol:

You've just made my weeked mate!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:
alevans
Groupie

Post by alevans »

Well now I'm even more excited we have just located the other 3 fry, Rob you were absolutely spot on!!! All four are living underneath a piece of bogwood with 5 adults of varying ages. They are one little community!

I can't believe it but I have to leave them for a week whilst I goto work!! :(
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Congrats! Isn't it a wonderful feeling when you find you have babies :D I wouldn't be surprised if there's more there too, they're very good at hiding! ;)
alevans
Groupie

Post by alevans »

Thanks!

We are really over the moon, as we have only been keeping fish since Christmas.

Hopefully we can keep them spawning!
alevans
Groupie

Post by alevans »

In the interest of passing on info I though I would post my tank parameters:

Temp 31 degrees
P.H. 6.9
KH 6 degrees
GH 12 degrees
Nitrite nil
Nitrate 5 mg/l
O2 concentration 93%

Best wishes
Al
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

cheers for that Al

Keep a note and we'll get them into the databse as soon as I have it sorted out.

rob
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

O2 concentration of 93%? Can that be right? That sounds like fog - goes to show what I know about chemistry :lol:

My O2 measuring kit (Tetra kit) shows mg pr liter, and 8 mg/L is supposed to be good according to that kit. What kind of test kit do you use alevans?
alevans
Groupie

Post by alevans »

McEve maybe I have got it wrong!

I also have the Tetra kit and at 31 degrees C 100% saturation is 7.586 mg/l. I estimtaed my O2 concentration at 7 mg/l which roughtly speaking is 93% ?

Perhaps I'm wrong?!

I'm off to the Maldives for a week so I'll ask one of the Marine Biologists what they think?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Alevans, I'm sure you're right, it just sounds strange to me.. 100% O2 saturation, in my uneducated mind, leaves ... O2 :D

It might be that Tetra has set a max of possible O2 saturation in H2O and is calling that level 100%? maybe it's better to stick to mg/l, that way I don't get a headache LOL

Maldives?? You lucky thing! I want to go too :( have a great trip! :D
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Alevans,

Congrats .
Have a nice holiday.

Regards,
Des.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Alevans,

Congrats on the spawn. :D It's funny how quite a few spawns take place when people are on holiday, perhaps the zebras like the peace and quiet. Hope you have a great break, maybe you'll come back to another spawn.

Adam