conditioning

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Tariq
Obsessed!!

conditioning

Post by Tariq »

whats the best way to put a female in breedingcondition?how often feed her and what to feed her?if i would feed them twice a day would that be alright ?
thanks
- 10Xadult L-46(4males, 6females)+fry
- 10Xyoung L-46(4-5 cm)
- 5Xyoung L-46(3,5 cm)
-22XDiscus(7breedingpairs)
-1xl260
-20Xcorysterbai
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Tariq

I usually up the temp to about 86, feed on staple diet of tera prima, with bloodworm twice a week, a slice or gette once a week, and more recently some of the famous McEve mix. Twice ad ay is good, just make sure she always has access to food.

Keep that up (ensuring all excess food is removed), for about 3 weeks or so. Keep with with your usual water changes, ( at least 10% every couple of days), and then do a big water change of around 30-40%, turn off the heater for a few hours and then swithc it back on.

thats obviously a very summarised approach. basically just try and get them in the best possible condition. Your fish may have a prefernce to certain food, use your own judgement. So long as she has crisp blue tinged fins, a fat belly and is responsive to fast movements she shoudl do just fine!

:lol: Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Tariq
Obsessed!!

Post by Tariq »

thanx rob i am trying to feed them twice a day every other day and leaving them alone.
is a ph of 7.2 okay for now??
cheers
- 10Xyoung L-46(4-5 cm)
- 5Xyoung L-46(3,5 cm)
-1xl260
-20Xcorysterbai
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Tariq

pH 7.2 is just fin at the moment. The zebras can actually cope with quite a wide variation in pH. From my experience I have had no probs in zebs in a ph ranging from 6 - 7.8.

You may want to lower it a little when they are ready to breed as the xingu is a more acidic water.

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Tariq
Obsessed!!

Post by Tariq »

lower it with just ro water or do i need something more?
- 10Xyoung L-46(4-5 cm)
- 5Xyoung L-46(3,5 cm)
-1xl260
-20Xcorysterbai
wandj
Obsessed!!

Post by wandj »

Once you get your RO/tap mix in the tank down to about pH 7, it really can't go much lower than that unless you add chemical....whether acid, peat, etc. Watch your kH. Keep it between 80 - 110 or you may have a crash. Mix your RO/tap with acid in buckets till you know it's a pH of 6.5 or where ever you want it. I can't think of any other way...just be careful. Once you have it figured out, just repeat.