mussels

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Shell231
Mentally Certified!

mussels

Post by Shell231 »

can you but hole mussels in and do they have to be part cooked?
Adam

Post by Adam »

You can feed mussels/cockles, either whole or chopped up. The New Zealand green lipped variety that you can get from an LFS is particularly good. It shouldn't be cooked but fed as is, make sure to remove what's left the following day as it will soon foul the water.
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

I live by the seaside now! there is fresh seafood readyly avalible ( as u would expect ) because i moved him into the big zeb tank, and he hasn't touched any bloodworm i dont think he is eating well? should he settle in he has been in the tuesday and doesn't look like he has been eating, he is the only fish in this tank, could he be just lonely!
Adam

Post by Adam »

Shell, sounds like he just needs to settle in as he has recently been moved. I would not try to introduce him to new foods but rather get him eating his favourites again. Get your mussels from an LFS so that you know nothing has been added and that they are not part cooked, only feed occasionally say twice a week.
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Shell231,

I used to feed whole frozen mussel (uncooked and unsalted, no vinegar either) which I used to buy from a supermarket and also whole prawns ( without the shell). The fish (and I) preferred the taste of the Large Green Lipped New zealand ones to the Small British ones.
I now feed the home made frozen mix which contains mussels, prawns, carrot and spinach all processed really fine and then frozen flat in plastic bags, which is then easy to break pieces off whilst still frozen..

Regards,
Des.