Water Changing Devices

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

McEve, have you thought of using the Python gravel cleaner/water changer. You can also make your own - PM me if you would like me to send you info. on the DIY project.

Since I purchased mine, the difference is amazing, no more back-ache!!!

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/artic ... 15&aid=267
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

If you have a pure source, an automatic water changer can be used to filter incoming water while draining existing water. :shock:

Automatic sounds fantastic :D

I'd love to see the DIY project, much apreciated if you would care to give me info on that!

You just made me see a glimmer of hope for my back there :D
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

We've got an old 30m deep well in our garder, so eventaully this wll be pumped inot my holding tank in the roof.

The holding tank is currently plumbed into mty 3 tank system, (Gravity Fed). When I get sound to finnishing it, there will be a float valve on the end of the gravity fed line from the holding tank. There is alos a drained syphon point, which will be on a timed actuator valve. Every moering the valve will open for a set period of time thus allowing water out, thus allowing the float valve to open and the tanks re-fill the requried amount.

This as I have more time to watch my fish!!!!!
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

That's what I want to do too.... watch the fish instead of carrying buckets of water! lazy bum I am :lol:

I think this topic is probably interesting enough for a topic of it's own? I'm sure more people would be only too happy not having to carry buckets of water... Or am I the only one that haven't figured out that you don't have to? :lol:

Your setup sounds very interesting Rob, could you explain it with an illustration as I'm having trouble understanding how it works... :oops:

Any input on how to avoid the buckets are indeed welcome! I have to find a solution that does not rely on the syphon effect. I don't have enough of a downhill to where I can let the water out to rely on that...
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hey McEve...Moved as suggested!!

Anywa, here are come very basic outlines of my system..The first diagram shows the entire system

And this one ( which I hasten to add has been very roughly drawn) shows how the syphon works. The valve that will be used is a Hozelock electronic actuator, which can be set to come on at minute intervals on a daily basis. The idea is that it will operate for the amount of time required to do a 10% water change every moring.

The freshwater inlet and syphon outlet are on the bottom tank to ensure that the water is well mixed around in the sump prior to being dispersed around the other tanks.

The pump pumps at around 5000 ltr/hr, so I get a turn around of each tank about 10 times in an hour.

Rob
Dan D' Man
Groupie

Post by Dan D' Man »

I don't have the benefit of adequate water, so I have to prepare mine to correct pH, etc. So my setup is something like this: prepared water on a 300 gal holding tank. A timer at night triggers a powerhead for X minutes & goes with a hose permanently to the Aquarium(s). I drilled a 1" bulkhead on the Wet-Dry filter at certain level, so the overflow goes out via PVC to the garden. I got to refill the holding tank every other week. Old aquarium water is very nutritious to the plants! :lol:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Dan D' Man wrote:I drilled a 1" bulkhead on the Wet-Dry filter at certain level, so the overflow goes out via PVC to the garden.

This where I get lost. I don't understand how the owerflow would empty the tank automatically to a certain level, once the tank is getting fuller of water. I'm missing something crucial here, which might only be solved if I experiement........

Do you have a diagram of your setup Dan?

Rob, in your system, the red is into the tank, and the blue is out?

Dan D' Man wrote: Old aquarium water is very nutritious to the plants! :lol:
This I have noticed! :D I always give my plants some water - from the bucket :P - and they thrive on it :D
Dan D' Man
Groupie

Post by Dan D' Man »

McEve; I don't know how to draw fancy drawings like Rob :lol: , by the way Rob, I made a couple of Durbos last night, they're great!

Ok McEve, let's try this: the aquarium always mantains the same level, if you are using Wet/Dry filters. It is the level of the Wet/Dry that goes lower with evaporation, etc. So, if you dump 5 gallons of freshwater on the aquarium, the extra water will raise the level of the Wet/Dry sump and the level of the aquarium keeps the same. So the bulkhead I have on my Wet/Dry sump is about 8" from the bottom. Water goes from my holding tank to my aquarium, it raises the level of the Wet/Dry & when it reaches the bulkhead's level the overflow goes out. The idea is not to empty the aquarium, but to replace old water with freshwater. You only have to play with your powerhead & timer to say 5 min worth of time is equal to 2 gallons of water, etc. and that's the amount that has been changed daily. Capish? Dan
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Still no capish LOL wet/dry filters don't mean anything to me, I've never seen one, and honestly don't know if they're in use over here at all. But is sounds like you need an extra tank for the new water, which you would need to fill somehow, be it by means filling it with buckets or a hose from a tap or whatever?

I'll look them up and see if I can grasp how they work, and if I do, then I'm sure I'll understand your advice.

Thank you Dan, much apreciated!
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

hi McEve

yes red is the flow into the tanks from the sump, and blue takes it back to the sump for filtration.

The waterchanging is completely seperate. The way the waterchanging works is just like a syphon. You know ehn you suck water out into a bucket lower than the hight of the tank, the water will continue to flow until you "pinch" the pipe, well the vale works in the same way. If the valve wasn't shut, the water would continue to flow.

The flow valve simpley lets water in, every time the level drops, like a WC cystern valve.

Tell you what, my zebs will be for sale soon, you can come over and see it when you pick them up!!!! :wink:

Rob
Dan D' Man
Groupie

Post by Dan D' Man »

McEve please describe your setup. How size is your tank[s]? what kind of filtration do you use? is your tank drilled?
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Hi Dan,

I have 9 tanks total, 5 of them require large and frequent water changes. They are: 3 120 liters and 2 250 Liter. They all have external canister filters, ranging from Eheim 2222 - 2224 - 2028 Pro II - 2128 Pro II. In addition they have internal powerheads with venturies.

None of them are drilled.

I understand how your setup work Rob, but it depends on an extra canister/tank situated higher than the tanks, where the fresh water is taken from. I don't have the option of setting this up, as I don't live in a house :( Yet! :)

I guess I need something with two hoses and a pump, which I easily can set up in the kitchen or the bath, and then run hoses to the tanks from there, one hose sucking the old water out, the other filling the tanks up. or something like that...
Dan D' Man
Groupie

Post by Dan D' Man »

McEve; given that you are running several tanks independently & you cannot make permanent modifications; then I would suggest the Python. I used them for several years & they work great; you don't need extra pumps. The water pressure from your faucet through the adaptor creates a suction, which makes the water syphon out of the tanks. Then you turn the knob on the adaptor the other way & the same hose will bring freshwater from your faucet to your tanks. Not automated, but a real time saver, plus you won't have to carry buckets no more :wink:
valhallan
Groupie

Post by valhallan »

Hi McEve,

Are you familiar with continuous siphon overflows? These perform the same function as having a drilled tank, without actually having to make any permanent modifications to the tank itself. They can be a little on the pricey side retail, especially for multiple tanks, but I rigged up some home-made ones that work great. I use them the same way Dan uses his drilled sump. I have a storage barrel full of water that is circulated and heated, and I have a pump attached to a digital timer that is set to turn on once a day to pump fresh water into the tanks. When the water reaches the overflow boxes, it is siphoned out into a drain outside my fish room, and I never have to suck on a hose at all :D

Val
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Thanks for your advice all! I think I'll go for the Syphon contraption for now, it's not terribly expensive, and if it works it will do the job satisfactorily for me.

I'ts interesting to read how other people have solved this problem, so don't hesitate to post your solution! :D I'm sure others will benefit from this too!