Move to 70 litre tank

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Jenny
Obsessed!!

Move to 70 litre tank

Post by Jenny »

I currently keep two Zebras in my community tank (43 gallon) and set up a 70 litre 4 weeks ago for the Zebras. This tank has now cycled but how long should |I leave it until transferring the Zebras.

The filtration on the 70 litre is the Juwel internal filter and an external Eheim Classic 2213.

There are 5 danios and one large snail in the 70 litre and water parameters have been reading ammonia - 0ppm Nitrite - 0ppm, Nitrate - 10ppm and PH 7.2. for 7 days now.

Will the zebras be alright on their own in the 70 litre or should I add, say, my L201 or corys. Will it be alright to leave the very large snail with the Zebras.

Sorry for all the questions but I just want to make sure that the zebras will be OK. (I am looking for another two zebras - I am not yet sure of the sexes of the current two.
Andrew C
Obsessed!!

Post by Andrew C »

Seahorse
Your tank is ready for the Zebras :D
Move the zebras right away, but i would remove the Danios to your community tank as they will eat all the food before your zebras get a chance, zebras are slow eaters

Zebras are better in a species tank as long as they have something to hide under, and good airiated water, they will be fine.

Not sure about the snail, but i can't see anything wrong with leaving it in the tank, as it won't eat the zebras food.

Do you know the sex of your zebras ?
Good luck with breeding them :D
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

Hi, Andrew,

Thanks for your reply, OK, I'll move them - I purchased three caves from Captain Caveman, should I just put two caves in there or put the three for them to chose?

I don't know the sex of the zebras yet but I should be able to get a good picture after I have moved them, I will then post them to get help to sex them.

I'll move the danios back into my cichlid tank and, possibly the snail back into the community tank (although it destroys/eats all my plants). My only worry with the snail is that it trapped my Golden nugget plec in a pot and badly damaged his dorsal and tail fins.

Do you recommend that I measure the O2 in the zebra tank and do you know what level it should be?

Thanks,

Jenny
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I do measure my O2 occasionally. I would also keep a close eye on ammonia and nitrite levels when you add the zebras. Your tank is stable now, but only to the level of fish that are currently in it. Add more and you're liable to get another spike, though it will sort itself out quicker than the first round of cycling did. Just be aware of that. Though if you're moving the others out and the zebras in, it might not be much of an issue.
Andrew C
Obsessed!!

Post by Andrew C »

You will be fine moving the Danios out of the tank and the Zebras into it.

Put one cave in the tank and something for the second fish to hide under, bogwood is best, but even a stone with a flat piece of slate laid against it provides some hiding space.
Just keep an eye on them and if the two of them keep trying to get into the one cave, then put a second cave in.
My male takes up residence in a cave and only leaves it to eat, whereas my females do not seem as picky.
They did use caves before i found out it was best to provide only males with caves and give females something else to hide under near the males cave, hopefully making the females a bit more keen to get into the males cave.

Probably better to move the snail as well, as Zebra tanks are pretty warm (mine is set at 29 Degress) and have a lot of current, which may not suit the snail.

I do not test for O2.
An Airstone run off a Airpump (Rena are good quiet airpumps), or a Powerhead set to suck air in from the room and into the tank water will save you testing the water for O2.
Jenny
Obsessed!!

Post by Jenny »

Thanks for the advice, I don't know why I am so nervous of introducing them to the new tank.

I have just tested the water again and all is A1, the 70 litre is substrate free at the moment and I think I will leave it that way for now. I have an Ario 4 air pump which was purchased only a couple of weeks ago, I put it in the cichlid tank (55gal -with gravel) and it has now broken completely. I think some gravel got lodged in it overnight and by the morning it had stopped working and I can't get it working again. So I then tried the Rena 100 which I had and the air it produces is next to nothing. Can you recommend what size air pump for a 70 litre tank for zebras, please.

In the community tank (43gal) I have a Tetratec AP150 which works fine, but possibly is too powerful for the 70 litre.
Andrew C
Obsessed!!

Post by Andrew C »

If your Rena airpump is less than one year old and you still have the receipt, take it back, it comes with a one year warrenty as standard.
When getting it replaced, add some money to it and buy the Rena 200 for your tank.

The Rena 200 looks alright alright for your tank, but if you've got the money get the 300: http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/listse ... 322&rets=X

With airpumps your always better going at least one size up from what you need, but what i really like about Rena is how quiet they are compared to other airpumps i've tried.

I also went gravel free after some adivce from Des.
Zebras have a habit of leaving the food for a while before eating it, and gravel free helps in cleaning up the uneaten food.