They finally did it!

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

McEve
Hypan-guru!

They finally did it!

Post by McEve »

After months of fooling around with me, more false alarms than I can count - look what I found today!

:D

Now I have the same worry as Adam, as this is not the alpha male. It's the lady's second spawn, but his first, and the alpha is only 20cm away in another cave, and much bigger than this fella.

When can I expect the alpha to make his move if he's going to try and sabotage? before the eggs are hatched I guess..?

I'm gonna be a grandma again ! :lol: Hopefully - if all goes well :?
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hey McEve that's fantastic!!!! :D . Now I've got someone to join me in my excitement :lol: .

It would be best to keep any eye on the Alpha male as he might as you say try to sabotage things. You never know there might have been a change in the hierarchy and the smaller male is now the Alpha :? . The male sitting on the spawn I found yesterday is also quite small in comparison to the other males. I watched them for about 3 hours last night and I didn't notice any interference from the other males. It's hard to say at what point the Alpha male is likely to have a go, it may never happen but I would keep an eye on him. I would say that if he remains in his cave most of the time then he is not too bothered. If you find him out and about and anywhere near the other cave then he may well be wanting to mount a challenge. I've seen a lot of this sort of behaviour from my lot recently.

Congrats McEve and good luck with the spawn :D.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Happiness likes company as well! :lol:

I'll keep a close eye on the webcam, and if he try any funny business I'll spank him!

But like you say, there might have been a change in the hierachy, as for now the male is in his own cave and don't seem to care at all. Lets hope it stays that way!

Happy happy :D
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

Oh you guys!! I'm so envious!! You must be thrilled! (duh! I've been reading your posts, you're obviously overjoyed!) There's never more than one to a cave in my tank :? BUT... they have been a lot more active and confident recently. So they must be feeling pretty secure. They even come out when the lights are on and I've got my face pressed up against the tank! :lol: So hopefully they'll soon be sorting the men from the boys and I'll be able to hand out my own cigars, rather than just delighting in everyone else's great news! :D

But enough of that...and back to the CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! 8)
Tom Kvitnes
Groupie

Post by Tom Kvitnes »

Really nice McEve

This seems to be the weekend for laying eggs :D

Took a pic into my males cave 2 min ago

http://www.plecoworld.com/forum/files/cave.jpg
Andrew C
Obsessed!!

Post by Andrew C »

Well done McEve & Tom 8)

McEve, how many young ones do you have now ?

Andrew.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Thanks all :D

Mindy, I just know your lot is going to spawn for you one day, judging by the way you look after them, I can't see how they wouldn't! But it might take time, I've had mine for two years now, and this is spawn nr 4. Patience is important :lol: But I have the impression that you've got that as well, so you'll get babies from your lot I'm sure!

Andrew, still have 13 youngsters ;) Ask me again in 4 weeks time and hopefully I have a higher count!
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I do have patience.... and three other tanks to distract me! :lol: I don't disturb my guys much. Just feed them, vacuum out waste each morning (if there is any) and top up the water every other day or so. They used to hide all the time, but now seem quite active, even when I'm watching... I never tire of their beauty!
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi McEve,

Congrats to you and Tom too.
You can be foster grandma to mine too !!!!!

Regards,
Des.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Thanks Des, I'm honored! :D How are they doing? I, and I'm sure the others as well, would love to see some pictures of them :D
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

well now... that didn't go too well did it...

Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

Oops! Well, maybe they were just practicing... once they've started though, they'll try again, won't they?

What do you do when this happens? Do you clean them out, or do you let them sort it?
Tom Kvitnes
Groupie

Post by Tom Kvitnes »

Sorry to see this McEve, but if it is any comfort it altso happend to me once.
I removed the bad eggs and 2 days later there where new ones.

My teori is that the eggs was ruined before they where laid, and thats the
reason why the male did not show them any intrest at all.

But it still is a little kick in the face :(

Regards

Tom
Adam

Post by Adam »

:cry:I'm sorry McEve, I know you've been waiting for a few months for them to start spawning again. With any luck this was a dry run and you'll soon have another spawn. Perhaps this is the first time that the smaller male has spawned and he is not too sure of his duties.

Better luck next time McEve.

Adam
Tariq
Obsessed!!

Post by Tariq »

hi mceve it could indeed be a dry run as they havent don nothing for a long time but i hope very very soon they will go at it again.
cheers