Look what I found this morning :)

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
SanDiegoFishes
Groupie

Look what I found this morning :)

Post by SanDiegoFishes »

Last night my Royal Farlowella's spawned and Dad has a lovely clutch of eggs! Yeah, now that is what I wanted to see on "TAX DAY!"
Barb

Currently run 25+ tanks and 6 above ground ponds. Breed many species of fish, including catfish, plecos, angels, Uaru's, German Blue Rams, livebearers, even snails.
Lampy
Forum Follower

Post by Lampy »

Woohoo!!! Way to go Barb!!

but I hate to be the one to tell you that you can't take them as deductions next year :(
[url]http://www.frybabies.com[/url]
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

How beautiful! :D I also have a farlowella (in my main tank) and he's one of my all time favourites - such a funny looking fella! I only have one though, so a spawn is highly unlikely! :lol: In fact, I'm not even sure if mine's a boy or a girl! I'd love to get it a friend, but I'd want to get the opposite sex.

Let us know how you get on with your little guy. I would LOVE to see what the babies look like - teeny farlowellas. Oh my god, I would just explode, they would be so cute!
Adam

Post by Adam »

Congratulations :D .

That's one big clutch of eggs, dad is going to have his fins full when they hatch :lol: .
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi ,

Well done Barb,
I too have bred them quite a few times. I have found that if one attaches a 8 to 10" length of 1" plastic pipe as used for undergravel filters onto their favourite site ( horizontally or slightly raised) with rubber suckers they will often lay their eggs on this pipe,which of course the dad looks after, which then is quite easy to remove to a hatching container or small tank, just before they hatch. I have also "rescued" a batch of eggs/fry laid on the side of the aquarium,after seeing some hatch, scraped the rest of the eggs, from the glass using an aquarium scraper and at the same time , sucking them into another container using a length of plastic pipe.
Sometimes they will also lay on leaves of the Giant Vallis , which is then easy to move, prior to hatching.
The secret to raising these is to use scrapings of algae ( from the aquarium) and spirulina powder when they are free swimming.
In case anyone is interested, there is an article on these Sturisomas on the last issue of Tropical World Magazine ,together with info/pictures from my breeding/spawnings.
Mindy,
Once you have found out whether yours is a male or female, let me know, I should be able to find you one, to make a pair, If you are in London ,any time. The males when they are mature have lots of "whiskers". The females dont have any.
Here is apicture of dad looking after a batch off eggs on the side of the aquarium, which are just about to hatch.

Regards,
Des.
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I don't have the Royal Farlowella. I think mine is Farlowella Vittata. I've had it since last summer, so nearly a year, and I can't see any whiskers on the snout. Here's a couple pix if it helps. I went out looking for a friend today as it happens! No joy though...

I got my 4ft tank second hand, and it's hopelessly scratched :( Nothing to with me guv, honest!
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Mindy,

Nice pictures and very nice plants too. I didnt see any scratches, maybe I need to see the optician.
I saw some of those Farlowellas that you have, and a good size too , last weekend at Wholesale tropicals,London, who mail order,if you want some.
If youre interested in a pair of the Royals,let me know. Mine have the long extensions to the tail.

Regards,
Des.
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I think I'd like to stick to this variety of Farlowella. I'm so fond of him/her. On Planet Catfish, I saw one similar listed as Vittata, but on another site, they list an entirely different looking one - more like what I would call Gracilis. But I'm no expert. I picked this one because I just thought it was so beautiful.

I think there's a clue to their sex in the placement of the ventral fins, but I can't remember what it is. If those guys at the shop you mentioned feel they can sex mine, and have the opposite number in stock, then I might just order one! Is this the same place as the Zebra Otos by any chance? (can you tell I get paid next week? :lol: )

That's my 4ft planted tank downstairs. This was my first ever tank and it's been a roller coaster ride of learning! But I think I'm getting the hang of it... slowly but surely! :wink:
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I've been looking on the internet to try and decide what type of Farlowella I've got... and now I've seen a very similar looking fish labeled as F. Acus. I have no idea what type I have now!! I'll just have to go by looks when choosing a mate I guess. :roll:
Andrew C
Obsessed!!

Post by Andrew C »

Mindy
Try posting the pictures on Planet Catfish, it is a good place for getting fish like yours identified.

Andrew.
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Mindy,

I think there are 3 different types of Farlowella similar to yours. I was at a fish shop at lunchtime today and looked through an old ref book of theirs, but dont know the differences.
Yes the shop is the same that had the zebra otos.They are very helpful. Phone them up , give them a web address for your picture and I'm sure they will be able to identify it and confirm whether the ones they have are identical.I too might get a pair at some time as I like the different types of whiptails.
Apart from the royal whiptails , also have Loricaria filamentosa which have also bred and Sturisomatichthys Leightonii which look like a dwarf Royal,which have bred for the first time last week but the Apisto Aggazzizi made a meal of the eggs :cry: :cry: so had to move them.

Regards,
Des.
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I read an article today describing the different between F. Acus and F. Gracilis by looking at the scutes on their undersides. Mine matches the picture of the F. Acus in this case... but I'm still clueless as to whether he's a she or vice versa! One says to rub its nose to see if it feels rough, I think I did that once, but I touched it so gently I don't remember feeling anything remarkable. It's an amazingly docile fish. You can pick it up no problem. I wonder why they're like that? So calm... any other fish would run a mile!

I might post on Planet Catfish and see what comes up... Can't say I've ever gone on their site for anything other than reference. I guess it's time I had a better look!
SanDiegoFishes
Groupie

Post by SanDiegoFishes »

Hi Everyone,
I just took a photo of the developing eggs, I can see little fishies in there!
Barb

Currently run 25+ tanks and 6 above ground ponds. Breed many species of fish, including catfish, plecos, angels, Uaru's, German Blue Rams, livebearers, even snails.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Barb those are SO awesome! That's a great picture. Good luck with the little guys! Keep me in mind for some fry when they get to good size. I'll trade you some L260 for them if you like ;).

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
SanDiegoFishes
Groupie

Post by SanDiegoFishes »

Hi Barbie,
Deal :) I love trading, that is the best!! If they grow as slow as my Farlowella vittata fry did, it might be awhile (Big grin!)
Best, Barb