Expectant zebra dad!!!!!

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

There's no doubt that the IR-episode was my fault. The male reacted with total panick. When you use a torch to look into the cave, the male will move about, showing he doesn't like it (or mine do), when taking a picture they show very little reaction. Probably because it's such a short glimt, but I can see they would react if you take several pictures in succession.

So, they react much stronger to IR-light than "normal" light in my experience. I don't see any reason why you should feel even remotely responsible for what happened. I take full responsibility for what might happen when I choose to venture out on untrodden ground.
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I always do a head count in the morning and in the evening, just to see where everyone is and make sure everyone's OK. Sometimes, they are right at the back of their cave and I can't see them. Sometimes I just take a picture (digital camera) and then delete it when I've seen the fish in there (this also gives me a chance to have a longer look). But sometimes I shine a light and when I do that, the fish always moves about like it's been disturbed... and mine aren't even breeding. So I would agree with you McEve, sustained periods of light (of any sort) does seem to upset them in some way. They seem to sit still for flash, even when they're out in the open. Maybe it's like lightning in the wild or something...

Wow... owning Zebras is like reading a good mystery that never ends, and plots are always unfolding! :lol:
Tom Kvitnes
Groupie

Post by Tom Kvitnes »

My experience is a little different, i do agree they do move when i use
a flashlight, but at the same time they get a bit curious altso.

And i dont think it has any affect on a male guarding eggs, i have had 7 spawns now, and have been flashing the cave at least one time every day.
All the spaws have given live fry, accept one but i think thoose eggs where ruined before they where laid.

So in my experience i dont think flashing the cave does any harm.

Regards

Tom
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

Well, it'd be nice to think it doesn't hurt... because it's just too hard to resist having a peek!!! Plus, I like to see mine daily or I worry about them! :wink:
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

McEve,

When Replying to Adam, I did say I think McEve lost an entire spawn due to the same. I was refering to the IR incident. I was not blaming you. I was just making a statement on a topic, I remembered from many months ago. I think I shall stop making references to other members experiences.

Regards,
Des.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I didn't understand that Des, having the recent loss of the spawn and feeing miserable for loosing it you know. All I could think of was this 20 eggs lost...The IR incident didn't even occur to me.

I'm sorry for being a hothead at times
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

How's the eggs doing Adam? Did they hatch yet ? :D
Adam

Post by Adam »

It's bad news I'm afraid I noticed the male hanging his tail out of the cave yesterday. Obviously trying to attract another female, I suspected that his behaviour meant that he had probably eaten the eggs. I checked the cave and there was no sign of the eggs :cry: :cry: . I don't know what could have caused him to eat the eggs as they appeared to be fertile, Des may be right I probably spooked him by using the flashlight too much. Mind you I had completely stopped it with the flashlight may be it was too late. Oh well at least I know that they are capable of spawning, I just hope that it's not too long before they go for it again.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I'm so sorry to hear that :( Guess we'll enjoy misery together then :( I know some members have experienced that a first time dad will never make it. I have a male that made it on first attemt, but it might look like it fails in most cases?

I have heard, and also experienced myself, that when that first attemt is made, the second follows shortly, so here's crossing my fingers this will happen this time as well! For both of us!

Just have to look forward, I bet there's lots of babies in the future! :D

(hurts like hell when you loose a batch though don't it :( I couldn't focus on anything else the following 24 hours :( )
Adam

Post by Adam »

Thanks McEve,

I was pretty upset about it yesterday, I couldn't even bring myself to post about it on the forum :cry: . I've put it down to experience and hopefully like you say another spawn will not be too far down the line for both of us. I did notice that a female was trapped in another males cave today but I haven't bothered to check, probably best not to. Perhaps like you say this was a dry run. I have noticed the male that had the spawn is desperately trying to attract another female, he just cant keep still in his cave. He's going backwards and fowards wiggling his tail and doing that quivering thing that they do. I swear if he commits infanticide again I'll sell him on ebay :x .

Let's hope that there is indeed lots of babies in the future. :).

Yep it certainly hurts like hell to lose a batch whatever the reason, I felt like someone had kicked me in the guts when I looked in the cave and found the eggs were gone. :cry:

I'm going shopping tomorrow to cheer myself up, I'll tell you if I get anything interesting.
du ma
Obsessed!!

Post by du ma »

im sorry to hear adam. but be expecting more fries in the near future :wink:
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

Sorry to hear about that man!!!!! Like everyone else is sayin, you'll get some more shortly so don't worry!!!!
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

I am sorry adam! X but you have it all to look forward too now! once they start there is no stoping them!! :D:D so big smiles and think of your next fertile healthy batch!!!!
Adam

Post by Adam »

Since my zebras last attempt at spawning they have had me on a real roller coaster of a ride. There have been three more spawns, two in the same tank and one in another tank. I didn't even notice the spawn in the other tank and I still don't know who was responsible. :? The second spawn was mostly eaten but resulted in one wriggler that died a few days later. There was also a wriggler from my other tank but that was already dead when I found it. The latest spawn was also mostly eaten by the male, infact I looked in his cave yesterday morning and all the eggs were gone again. :cry:

I came home from work yesterday evening and was about to do water changes on the zebra tanks when I found two wrigglers out in the open, right amongst the uneaten food and fish poop. :shock: :shock:

Here's a picture of the dynamic duo. :lol:

Sorry for the poor picture guys, I'll try to get some better ones.

Adam
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Let me be the first to congratulate!! That's wonderful news - daddy ;)

Happy for you, Adam :D