L46, male or female??

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
five

L46, male or female??

Post by five »

1st of all, thanks Rob for introducing me to this wonderful forum. Cheers!

Now I like to request your attention.

I manage to find a 'female' But I need all the expert advice I can find to comments as I am not sure if it's a female.

Here are some of the close up I took. Appreciate much...thanks.

http://www.plecofanatics.com/gallery/sh ... puser=1908
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Looks like a male to me... Generally speaking the cheek odontodes don't reach far past where the pectoral fins start. The head profile also suggests male to me.

Bur I've been wrong before! :D
Tom Kvitnes
Groupie

Post by Tom Kvitnes »

looks like a male, but it would be easier to tell if you could get a close up shot from above when the fish is in the water.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

As long as that's a good sized fish, it's a female, IMO. No heavier "cheek" area and good curve to the fins. It's also heavy in the right spot for a female. If you draw a line across where the pectorals meet the body the head is shorter in relation to the body (at some point I need to figure out the mathematics behind that, as there's a formula kicking around for sexing discus this way and I've wondered about using it on zebras!). IMO, if that fish isn't choosing a cave and holding it against males trying to take it, it's a female.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Five,

Welcome to the forum.
Have replied to your pm.
My view as stated fully on the pm, is Male.
I have yet to see a female with such long cheek whiskers. The side pictures appear to show a "pregnant" female but I belive it is a male with a bit of a pot belly.Your last picture shows large spikes on the Left pectoral fin which are not apparent in the blown up picture of the right pectoral fin for some reason????!!!!!!. It also appears to have "lost" the tip.
The last overhead picture also is very tapered like a male if it is an adult fish.

Des.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hmmmmmmmm...........this one is still a bit ofa teaser.

Longer gill plate Odontodes = male
Curvature of Pectorial fins = female
Head shape = female
Upper torso shape = female

A good point that Des pointed out to me in a PM is "Has this fish been in a fight at all to lose the tips of it's pectorial fins?"

My immediate reaction was Female to the curavture on the pectorial fins, but Des has some very valid points.

Five, can you get a close up photo of the vent. it it is a mature fish the female will be more U shaped and the male will be more V shaped.

Good luck

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
five

Post by five »

Hey guys, thanks for your invaluable comments. I think I will give this piece a miss since I'm not sure about it. Me too think that the odontode pretty long, kinda funny for a female to have that...

Cheers!