Will he get it right?.

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
jerry58
Obsessed!!

Will he get it right?.

Post by jerry58 »

Hi
My only breeding pair of zebs have spawned 11 times in the last year the last was in January 2010 they have had a break for 2 and a half months and have spawned on the 8th of this month.
He has been killing them in the previous spawns after the 5th when I removed quite a few fry from the cave.
The spawn in jan of this year I removed the eggs from him day before all ok.
Now this time he seemed to trap the alpha female for 3 strait days not like before trapped 1 day out the next then trapped again for 3 days if you see what I mean.
This is one of the factors I think that has contributed to the fry being killed after they are hatched also with him being tiered all adds up,never the less I am not doing anything to induce them to spawn as like reducing the temp of the tank and so on.
They are due to hatch on the 13th,its in his hands(fins) now so will keep you posted as to the outcome I do hope he does not kill them as not doing so would be just fantastic!!!!!!! 8)

Jerry
Caution is a most valuable asset in fish keeping, especially if you are the fish.
dconnors
Groupie

Post by dconnors »

Good luck! My zebs have not spawned since Jan. either. If yours spawned on the 8th hopefully mine will spawn again soon. I really hope your big guy pulls through for you! :)
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

Good luck Jerry :)
davo
Groupie

Post by davo »

Hi jerry58

Out of the eleven spawns how many has the male eaten,I have had four spawns since January to two different males, same female,only one day trappings.
One batch of eggs got to wriggler stage but they were eaten as well :? , they are young males still learning their trade I suppose.
My question to any body that knows is how long dose it take for them to learn? :dunno: or is that like asking how long is a piece of string :lol:
jerry58
Obsessed!!

Post by jerry58 »

Hi
My male is not eating them and never has but he just kills them and kicks them out the cave l have lost about 50 wrigglers in total of say 5 spawns .
Sorry to hear of your problem but if trappings are over night I think they are practicing getting it right will get the idea in the end mine did this the first spawn and I got one that survived.

Best of luck.

Jerry
Caution is a most valuable asset in fish keeping, especially if you are the fish.
dconnors
Groupie

Post by dconnors »

Wow, our fish must be on the same schedule Jerry58, my male has a female trapped right now! Fingers crossed :D Let us know how your fry progress, good luck.
Dave
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

Good luck Dave :)
jerry58
Obsessed!!

Post by jerry58 »

Hi
Good luck with your fish spawning Dave.8)

There is no sign of any wrigglers out in the tank (dead or alive) when I got home today,so thats a good sign all going to plan,tomorrow morning will be another time to tell all is ok,hoping things will be the same then.
By tomorrow night if there's nothing out in the tank I will get a picture of inside the cave just to check all is ok.

Jerry
dconnors
Groupie

Post by dconnors »

I am glad to hear it is going well on your spawn! My female is out of the cave but there are no eggs. I think I will have to sort out the extra males in the tank, I believe that is why they're having problems. On a bright note my Mikrogeoghagus altispinosa laid eggs and they just hatched. So it is not all bad in th fishroom. Can't wait to see some pics of your zebs.
Dave
jerry58
Obsessed!!

Post by jerry58 »

Hi
Sorry to hear that Dave.
Cool on the other fish spawning though I had some Dutch rams and look a really nice fish but but the female killed any male I put in with her so gave up but don't give up on your zebs just yet and leave them be as the female could be back in with the male shortly.

All the best.

Jerry
jerry58
Obsessed!!

Post by jerry58 »

Hi
The time passed this morning and no signs of anything in the tank as I hoped then 6pm this evening came still nothing all well hopefully so as planed had one shot and........... :wink:
Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!:lol:
He is in there with the wrigglers all ok none dead he is back on form thank god!.

Thanks for your kind replies. 8)

Jerry
Joby
Mentally Certified!

Post by Joby »

Woohoo! Thats great news Jerry :D
davo
Groupie

Post by davo »

Fantastic news Jerry to you and your zebs, keep up the good work.