New tank pics

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

valhallan
Groupie

New tank pics

Post by valhallan »

I've been fiddling with a new set up for a couple of weeks now, and just thought I'd snap a few to show everyone. Like Irry, I can't claim license for the design. I saw a post on planetcatfish by pleco_farmer with a set up that looked interesting and decided to do something similar. Unfortunately, by the time I got around to it, his pics were no longer showing and I had to wing it a bit. All in all though, I don't think it turned out too bad.

Basically, it's a standard 29G tank, filtered by an aquaclear 300 (new 70?) with its intake hooked up to a hydrosponge. There's also a 300gph powerhead hooked up to a spraybar to add a little extra current. Unfortunately, I forgot to take pics during the set up process, but I tried to stir up the sand a bit and most of the plumbing is still fairly visible with the tank fully set up.

I apologize in advance for the photography :)

On the right is the where the intake for the aquaclear enters the tank, with the spraybar jutted up against the bottom.

Here's a different angle. You can see part of the plumbing that hooks the sponge up to the aquaclear at the bottom of the sponge, and the powerhead that operates the spraybar nestled in behind.

A better view of the powerhead and hydrosponge.

The spraybar with 2 airstones situated right underneath.

I'm not really sure if this serves any practical purpose, more than it would to put them anywhere else in the tank, but it lets me know that the spraybar is actually working.

This tank was meant for the zebs I was to be getting from Germany, but I think for now I'll put my two subadults in here. I've still got to make some caves and add a few more pieces of decoration, but it's cycled and ready to house them pretty much as is. Let me know what you think :D

Val
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Vahallan,

Nice bit of pipe work there :D . I remember seeing pleco farmer's setup on PC, the only difference was that he used gravel as a substrate instead. The low level spray bar should provide a good current. You may need to switch the power head off at feeding time to allow food to settle otherwise it may just be kept in suspension. I would also put a guard on the heater just as a precaution. Other than that it's a great looking setup with a lot of potential :D . If I remeber correctly pleco farmer has had quite a few spawns using this type of setup.

Job well done mate :D .

Adam
Dan D' Man
Groupie

Post by Dan D' Man »

I could use your setup now! LOL.,,, finally after so many frustrations, I got my baby Zebras from a good seller. Now I'm paranoid of them getting sucked up by some intake. Good idea to put the sponge.
valhallan
Groupie

Post by valhallan »

Thanks Adam :D

I hope I have the same kind of success pleco_farmer did. It's an interesting setup if nothing else. I know what you mean about the current though, it doesn't look like much until I throw some food in there and you can actually see how much circulation there is when it gets blown around.

Congrats about your purchase Dan (a bit belatedly :oops: ). The best thing I've found for fry is to keep them in a fry trap suspended in a larger tank. This way you don't have to worry about the little guys hurting themselves on heaters/ filters etc. and it also means that food is concentrated in a smaller space, meaning the fry get more to eat. Barbie's set up is particularly nice, although somewhat beyond most of our abilities. It might give you some ideas though. Here's the link:

http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=321

I keep my fry in a 2.5G acrylic tank suspended in a 50G. I've got a spray bar hooked up to a smallish powerhead that's situated in the 50G to provide circulation and oxygenation. I drilled a 3/4" hole at one end of the 2.5G, so the water empties back out into the 50G. Sounds a little confusing when I write it down like that :wink: If you want, let me know and I'll see if I can take some pics.

Val
Dan D' Man
Groupie

Post by Dan D' Man »

I know what you mean by a suspended tank. That's exactly where I'm keeping mine while their 12 gal is ready; which should be good for 1" fry while they grow up..6 of them. Try to picture this: a 180 gallon tank with perfect water filtration & temperature. Now I'm working on an acrylic tank, last night I drilled a hole on the back & installed a bulkhead w/strainer. So I'll cut a couple of 2 x 4"s & place it on the frame of the bigger tank. I'll place the 12 gal on top of the wood frame. One in hose will provide excellent circulation to the 12 gal, the overflow goes back to the main tank. No need for heaters, since the in-water is already heated & filtered. Same idea as the hanging 2.5 acrylic, except it is on top of the other tank. I hope the weight won't be too much... on the walls of the big tank, which is all-glass.
Adam

Post by Adam »

valhallan wrote:I keep my fry in a 2.5G acrylic tank suspended in a 50G. I've got a spray bar hooked up to a smallish powerhead that's situated in the 50G to provide circulation and oxygenation. I drilled a 3/4" hole at one end of the 2.5G, so the water empties back out into the 50G. Sounds a little confusing when I write it down like that :wink: If you want, let me know and I'll see if I can take some pics.Val
Yes please Val, I saw some photos of something similar somewhere. I think it was on some German site. This guys breeding trap was huge, looked like it was custom built.

Adam
valhallan
Groupie

Post by valhallan »

Dan, that sounds perfect. I wouldn't be too worried about the weight of the 12G on top of the 180, the glass of the main tank should be more than capable of supporting the extra weight. Just make sure that the weight is evenly spaced over a fair amount of the 180 and you should be fine, your 2 x 4's should do a good job of that, but you may want to look into a larger single piece for better distribution. Make sure you post some pics once it's up and running :wink: The only thing I'd worry about with a smaller tank situated outside like that would be heat exchange during a power loss. If that ever happens, your 12 will lose heat a lot more quickly than the 180.

Adam, I'll see if I can get some pics up tonight after I get home from work :D

Val
valhallan
Groupie

Post by valhallan »

Here's the pics of the fry trap. The tank is pretty ugly, so bear with me :wink:

Whole tank, the fry trap is on the right hand side in the middle. The powerhead that operates the spray bar is just to the right of the trap.

Here's a closer pic of the trap from the same side.

The top of the fry trap. The trap is held in place by zip ties attached through holes drilled in the lip of the trap and around the support bar in the middle of the 50G. The piece of pvc to the right is just for support.

A better look at the spray bar.

I installed a bulkhead strainer attached to a piece of vinyl tubing for a snug fit through the drilled hole.

Spot the zebbies!

Val
du ma
Obsessed!!

Post by du ma »

this is good stuff :wink:

im gonna do something like that one day when i have fries :lol:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

This looks very prefessional valhallan! I'm sure you'll have success with this setup :D
du ma
Obsessed!!

Post by du ma »

oh man....i just went to feed my fish, and i found out that my filters was leaking the whole time while i was at work and my room is flooded :x
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Oh no... your fish ok? If they're ok then no damage done, just get that mop out and start swabbing :D
du ma
Obsessed!!

Post by du ma »

my fishes are ok, i threw some sponge filters in there for right now. thankyou for your concern mceve
Lied
Groupie

Post by Lied »

Looks very nice! :)
Cute ^_^