Should I worry?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

Yeah, I think I panicked a bit last night when I fed them. I haven't got a feel for how much five of them eat... plus the dithers in there (5 harlequin rasboras, one lemon tetra and some Endler fry). I tend to give the dithers flakes so I can see they've eaten and then put the worms or mussels in before lights out. I'm not sure they're all out and eating yet as I've only seen like maybe three of them out. One of my little ones, that big one and another one. There's a big one under a piece of slate that just won't budge. But does tail flicking if anyone else comes near. :?

Anyway, I cleaned up all the extra food and did an 8 litre water change so hopefully it's all better now. I've put in a chunk of "recipe" weighted down with a rock. I put it in the middle of the tank so hopefully it will tempt them all to eat. There's a strong current in the tank so I'm sure the tempting smell will be wafting under their little noses by now. No doubt I'll check it a hundred times before I go to bed and immediately upon waking. :lol:
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

That lump of "recipe" that I put in there last night was untouched this morning. :( Now I am worried they are not eating...
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Mindy wrote:Well, I sat by the tank again this morning watching with the lights off
I wonder how many hours I've done just that Mindy, my family thinks I'm mad I'm sure, sitting there watching a blackedout tank LOL But I can see them... my babies.... :)

Just wanted to let you know that's normal behaviour for a Zebra owner - at least I *think* it is :lol:

Glad ot hear she's doing better! I'm sure all your Zebras are going to be fine, from what I read you have it in you to look after them real good.

About the food... I've found they eat a lot better if I chop the mix up, to make small pieces instead of one big lump. I discovered this after I started doing it for the babies sake. Also, babies need their veggies, so I they've been getting a slice of zucchini in addition to what's in the mix. I was much surprised to see the adults also eating this with great delight - they never did before! And what's more, they're even more keen on the recipe-food now too. Maybe they're like most people - even filet mignon every day gets boring, variety never goes astray :)
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

Thanks McEve, that's interesting.

The trouble is, the current in the tank swirls it all around, which is why I left it in a lump. It seems to eventually just get sucked into the filter, or it gathers in one far corner. Last night I syphoned the bottom and that corner was full of bloodworm from the night before. The bare bottom doesn't seem to hold the food down very well and it just blows away!

When I fed bloodworm the night before last, I waved the cube around each rock that had a zeb under it, trying to make sure some worms drifted underneath for them. I'm so worried they're not getting enough to eat!
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

i dont have the zeb tank set up yet! but maybe mindy you should try to turn the filters off for an hour or so, just a thought
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I turn my powerheads off for an hour at feedingtime. I know some people feel it's not good for the bacteria to be left without flowing water, but it has worked in my tanks. However, I wouldn't disregard the warning concerning turning the pumps off, I'm quite sure the bacteria colony could go bad pretty fast given the wrong circumstances. Maybe it depends on what kind of filtration system you have?

Anybody care to elaborate a bit on this?

My setup is an Eheim 2224 external pump, with an estra Rena 600 l/h internal. I turn the Rena off for an hour, but leave the Eheim on. This allows the food to lay still on the bottom, but will swirl around if suspended in the water.

Chopping the recipe small makes for alsmost no boyancy left in it, so it stays on the bottom much easier in small pieces than in large.

When all that's said Mindy, I'm pretty sure your Zebras are getting enough food, they're not totally helpless, and will eat if they find suitable food - which they will as long as not all is gone :) (this goes for adults then, just to have said that too :wink: )
Last edited by McEve on Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I did think of that, and was going to ask about that... so I guess now's a good time! What I am worried about is the bacteria in the filter. I don't know how long it will survive without aeration. I don't want to compromise the effectiveness of the filter. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm running a 30" tank with an Eheim Professional 2224. It's a big filter for the size of tank, but I wanted to make sure the water was kept clean.

I don't have a powerhead in there at the moment. Just the spraybar from the Eheim. I have measured the oxygen levels and they are around 8, which I was told was about right. I might put a powerhead in later, if I still need it.

Or maybe I need to invent some sort of "baffle" for the spray bar to reduce the current when I'm feeding... any ingenious tinkerers out there care to suggest something?
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Mindy,

In my planted tanks , I dont use the spray bar,( just have the outflow direct into the tank from the output pipe ), to prevent all that turbulence, which displaces the CO2 that I want staying in the tank.
You could try that but that might counteract the turbulence which would have a direct effect on oxygen content.
You could try that ( check O2 level)and maybe have an airstone.
Or the best option, you could buy an Eheim Venturi attachment that fits on the outlet pipe (instead of the spray bar) . I bought one many years ago, I dont know whether they are still available.
How many gal in your tank?
What is the output per hour of your filter?

Des
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I don't have a powerhead or anything else running on this tank, so I've gone for maximum surface disturbance. The tank is around 70-80L depending on how much I fill it. It's more like 70L at the moment.

Here's the spec for the filter if it helps...
Eheim 2224 external filter for tank size up to 250l.

Eheim 2224 Pump output 700l/h
Filter circulation 500l/h
Delivery head 1,50 m Ws
Filter volume 3,0l
Power consumption 8 W
Dimensions approx. mm 340 x 178 x 178
Here's a pic of what I've done with the spray bar to get maximum surface disturbance and gaseous exchange
Image[/img]
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Mindy,

Your filter is turning over the tank volume approx 7 times per hr. which is about right and not excessive. Some on here have theirs turning over about 10 times. Mine work out about 6.
Noticed from the photograph that the spray bar is on the left of the tank, Try putting the food on the right side of the tank. Or try pointing the jets of the spray bar towards the back glass.

Regards,
Des.
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

The spray bar is fairly central in the tank, it's just the way the picture looks. I will try turning it towards the back of the tank and see what happens.

Won't it affect the oxygen levels if it's not splashing the way it is now? Or do you mean just do this when feeding?
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

Sorry to jump back a chapter lol leading pectoral bristles!! what and where i understand the pectoral bit ( fins at the side) but leading pectoral bristles confuse me someone care to explain? please! :D
Skye
Groupie

Post by Skye »

and while we're in explaining mode, i have 2 questions....

Mindy... what are dithers?

Des... how do you check the O2 level in a tank? oh and Des, i was told there is no such thing as over filtering a tank.... but you said
Your filter is turning over the tank volume approx 7 times per hr. which is about right and not excessive. Some on here have theirs turning over about 10 times. Mine work out about 6.
how many times should one be turning over the tank per/hr? is there such a thing as too much??
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

You can by an Oxygen test kit in any fish shop, just like the ones you use to test for pH, Ammonia, etc. It exactly the same - fill a test tube with tank water and add drops from a bottle and it changes colour. Easy.

Dithers... normally you talk about dither fish, for instance, when you've got breeding fish that can be aggressive towards each other, like for instance, cichlids. Dither fish are just small busy fish, peaceful ones, that serve as a distraction to the main fish - usually some small tetras or something. I happen to have Harlequin Rasboras and Lemon Tetra. They don't do anybody any harm, but sometimes when your main fish are very territorial or aggressive, they can focus too much on others of their own species and cause trouble. Dithers distract their attention by just "dithering about" the tank, and the territorial fish can watch them rather than completely obsessing about their own kind. Sometimes males of a species will attack their mate, and dithers can help them re-focus their attention in a more benign fashion.

Does that help? :wink: Here you can see a little zeb having a wander around the tank and I happened to catch a Harlequin Rasbora and Lemon Tetra in the shot too. They look huge compared to the zebra, but it's just because they're closer to the camera - honest! They just busily swim around the tank all day, which is a distraction to the territorial fish. :wink:
Adam

Post by Adam »

Mindy,

Another great shot you really have got the hang of taking pitures now :D . Looks like the picture taking bug has bitten you too, well it was inevitable really. I have about a gig and a half of zebra pictures. Like the explanation on dithers, I'm considering putting some of my Rasboras Hengli in with the zebras. They should be ok as they are quite a bit smaller than Harlequins and they remain close to the surface, never venturing below mid way in the tank.

I'm sorry to nit-pick again but I have noticed that the heater in your last picture doesn't have a guard on it. It really is advisable to use them where plecs are involved as it has been known for plecs to rest on heaters and burn themselves. They are relatively inexpensive and can be found at most LFSs, just check to see what brand fits your heater.