Best way to take pics to determine sex

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
zcat
Groupie

Best way to take pics to determine sex

Post by zcat »

Hey all :)

I'm still staying postive and believing that my zebras will one day be shipped. So let's all play along with the game that I am getting zebras, LOL.

What picture shots will you need to help me determine male or females? And is there a peferred type of container to take these shots? I have a little 2 way breeder box that I think might be clear enough to get some good pics. In my deal I have been promised a certain number of males and females and I would like to see what I am actually shipped.

Any suggestions appreciated :)

Thanks!

Cory
>^..^<

Cory
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Hi zcat,

The pictures in this threadgot a good response from people.

It's important to get at least one picture taken from above, with the fins extended and the body straight. Then one from the side which shows the cheeks, the face profile and the pectoral fins.

And of course, they should be in focus :)

Good luck getting your Zebras, looking forward to seeing them :D
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

zcat,

McEve is absolutely right about what is required. In focus pictures of :-
1) Overhead view of whole fish
2) Side View of face and pectoral fin
I would just like to add one more which is:
3) Only one fish per photograph.
It is extremely difficult to sex , when there is a overhead picture of 6 fish in a bowl.

Des.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Can I add to this that if the pictures coming off your camera are HUGE, please leave them that way, if at all possible. It just allows you to get a closer look at a few things, and most browsers will auto resize it to fit the page anyway, if need be. I prefer the large shots for id. If for some reason your web space won't allow uploads that large, yell and I'll see if I can just host them on some of my space. That or I'll work on convincing Rob that he needs a gallery ;).

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Andrew C
Obsessed!!

Post by Andrew C »

Found this link on another forum and even though it is in German, the pictures give a good description of what to look for when Sexing Zebras
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

The "problem" with descriptions like those is that they show a mature/alpha male, and a fully grown known female. There's usually no problem identifying a mature male, look at this one:

A male no doubt, all can see that.

The problem however, arises when we're talking about a not fully matured/subdominant male and/or a young female.

it can be pretty tricky to accurately sex those :) Some of them show differences in individual development as well, so occationally even those best at sexing a Zebra may be fooled at times :)
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Everyone, (Sorry I've been away agin...although this time ti wasn't work.... I actually took some time off)

Anyway...well said McEve. once the zebras reach a more "mature age" they are actually quite easy to identify. The problem is that bit before, where they are sexually mature, but not terribly "butch". The older the males get, the more obvious it is. BArbie has often pointed out that one of the easiest ways to identify a younger male is through behaviour, something we obviously cannot show in a photo..

That said, as stated above there are certin tell tale signs.....all of which however can fool us from time to time, (I consider myself to reasonabley versed in ssexing zebras, yet I am still not confident, and frequently get them wrong!)

All I would add is a close up picture of the vent. At present there is a hypothesis about this, but I am still unsure as it is very difficult to get enough phot's to make a comparison. Therefore....for that reason, I think we should continue to take the photo's until we figure it out for sure!!!!!

rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

What's the hypothesis on the vent?
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Generally if the vent is live a thin "V" shape it is male, and if it is spread over a larger area like a "U" shape it is female. I have yet to see any conclusive proof of this as there are only a small number of phot's available of high enough quality, plus it would need to be carried out on younger fish that are then proven to be male or female.

I think it is definately some thing that we shoudl continue to check however!!

Rob
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

Mine are so rarely on the side of the glass. I don't know how I'd check without physically removing them and flipping them over for a look. Hmmm... I'll keep an eye out. But to be honest, the whole time I've had them, I think I've seen on stuck to the side glass maybe twice... It will be hard to study them from this unless I put them in a breeder trap or something. And I am loathe to disturb them at all.

Interesting hypothesis though. Will be interesting to see if the theory holds true or not. Keep us posted!
zebra046
Obsessed!!

Post by zebra046 »

Rob
you are right on the money, just pin the fish in front of the tank and then take photographs it sound easier than actually doing it but a third hand wouldnt hurt, then comparing them with photos of actual breeding adults would make it alot easier or just check if you have two that looks different and you got a pair.
Rob if you want several photos of this I can send them to you so you can add them to your web site
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Zebra046

Good to see you again. SOme phot's would befantastic, I will put them on the new site currently under construction. I think I already have 2 of your photo's you sent a few yeasra gao, but not the ones showingthe ventral differences.

Cheers for that

Rob
Tariq
Obsessed!!

Post by Tariq »

new site?same adress or totally new?
- 10Xadult L-46(4males, 6females)+fry
- 10Xyoung L-46(4-5 cm)
- 5Xyoung L-46(3,5 cm)
-22XDiscus(7breedingpairs)
-1xl260
-20Xcorysterbai
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Tariq

DOn't worry it will all be the same www.zebrapleco.com, but there will be alot more inof, including a this forum (but formatted), chat room , etc etc...

Rob
AndyAps.com
Obsessed!!

when

Post by AndyAps.com »

Whens the new site up and running rob?
sounds great and cant wait to see it.

i have a zebra about 4 inch in size and am almost positive its a female (i bought her as a female) but how old do you think she will be at 4 inch?
success is a journey full of unbelievable experiance NOT a destination with an unbelievable experiance.