cycling

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

Shell231
Mentally Certified!

cycling

Post by Shell231 »

In the nitrogeon cycle, which comes first out of Ammonia and Nitrite? as you all know i am setting up a new tank it has been running now for a week and a half the nitrite is at 5.0ppm and the Ammonia is at 0ppm is this cycling? and will it drop! once the nitrite has droped to 0ppm is the tank cycled? why hasn't the Ammonia shot up?
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

When the nitrate gets to high should i do a water change to dilute it? because it as 20ppm! ( i have 18 fish in the tank is this enough or to much) please help
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

1. Ammonia is produced
2. Ammonia turns into Nitrite
3. Nitrite turns into Nitrate

You will notice your nitrate levels rising as the cycle goes full circle. But, be prepared to watch your nitrite levels go really high first. The bacteria that turns nitrite into nitrate seems to need this to kick start itself into action.

Do not be tempted to add any more fish until the ammonia and nitrite levels are both zero and have stayed that way for a little while. I think in my tank it took around 6 weeks or so before it was stable enough to add another couple fish. Go easy.
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

oh i see, so how comes my tank has no ammonia? is this because it has all turnt into nitrite?
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

This is the article I wrote on cycling tanks for my site. Are you adding anything to be creating ammonia? If you aren't, then what was present for whatever reason is being converted, but you are allowing the first stage of bacteria to starve. Definitely feed the tank somehow if there are no fish in it. If there ARE fish in it, read the part about adding salt and what not to help their blood be able to uptake oxygen. Hope this helps!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

There is fish in there how do i add ammonia! i dont know where your site is so please tell me!
Andrew C
Obsessed!!

Post by Andrew C »

Shell
Put your mouse over the first word in Barbies post (This) and it will change your pointer to a hand and then left click your mouse and it will take you to the article.

:D
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Shell231,

This link might be of use to you.

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/wchem.htm

Regards,
Des
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

oh right! thanks McEve you explain it better! lol I HAVE MY FIRST ZEBRA now! lol i will post pics later i need u all to sex it for me!