A month later...

We all know how difficult it is to identify the sex of these fish, so please post a picture in here and we'll try to help you (or at least give an educated guess!).
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

A month later...

Post by Mindy »

These are the two little guys I posted pics of around 4-6 weeks ago. They were quite skinny from the shop and I have been feeding them our ZebraPleco Forum "special recipe" along with bloodworms and tetra prima and anything they want really... :lol:

Anyway, I've moved them into their own tank today and took the opportunity to photograph them so you could tell me how you think they're looking nowadays, and whether or not we're getting any closer to being able to sex the little darlings... They're a little bit faded from being netted but generally they are very black and very white.

First is a picture that I posted before so you can see the before and now for comparison.

BEFORE

And NOW

I noticed the different nose markings. This one has a little triangle nose like Tony the Tiger from Frosties cereal! (well, to my daft eyes anyway! :wink: )

And this one has a striped nose...

All comments welcome. :)
gianniz
Groupie

Post by gianniz »

one with the longer face looks like female and the one with shorter face seems to be a male.
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Mindy,

Sorry but I think you might have to wait a few more months and some clearer/in focus pictures especially of the head and pectoral fins in order to sex them with some degree of certainty. I cannot see the cheek bristles or the odontodes on the leading pectoral fins very clearly.( Maybe I need a visit to the optician )

However they seemed to have put on some weight since you first got them. Well done with all the different foods.

Regards,
Des.
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

I think this is as good a picture as I'm ever going to get with my camera. It doesn't seem to do great focus on close up shots. Or maybe I'm just rubbish with the camera. I even used a tripod for these shots to eliminate any camera shake. It's a Kodak 7430. I got it for my birthday last year. I think it's a reasonable "all purpose" camera, but not really very good for detailed work. I've never had a really clear fish picture from it. But I'll keep trying. :roll:

Oh... even when I look at them with my bare eyes, I have trouble seeing any cheek bristles. Maybe I'm just not looking at the right bit... or maybe it's ME that needs the optician!
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

This is from the batch of photos I took last night. Not a great one, but I liked the way this fish was "peeking out". I think this is the one with the stripey nose...
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Mindy,

I am getting some photos taken tomorrow by a friend of mine who is a better photographer and has a better camera than I do ,on differences between male and female zebras that hopefully will be published in a Breeding Zebra plec article on the next issue of Tropical World Fish Magazine.
I will try and post them here as soon as I can. Maybe of help to you and a few others.

Its also worth looking on the posts on Sexing Male/female zebras.
Here is a good link,originally posted on this forum, in japanese !! but the pictures are self explanatary. When it says download Japanese text ,click No

http://home.owari.ne.jp/%7Econes/lancef ... ebra4.html

Male -blue pictures (on the left), Longer cheek bristles( under eye) and longer odontodes/bristles on leading pectoral fin. Adult males body, looking from the top, tapers from pectoral fins all the way to the tail.

Female- pink pictures (on the right), shorter bristles in both areas. Adult females body , looking from the top,is parallel between pectoral fins and ventral fins and then tapers towards tail.

You will now be able to tell us the sex of your Zebras !!!!!!

Does your camera have a Macro (close up) function?

Regards,
Des.
Last edited by Des on Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

It does have close up, and that is what I'm using... I've never been able to get good pics up close. They're always "almost" in focus. :(
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Mindy,

I have edited my post above , with a link and some more info.

Des.
Mindy
Mentally Certified!

Post by Mindy »

Well they are either still too young to show whiskers, or I have two females because as yet, I can see none. Even when I squint. Should I be able to see them with my bare eyes? The fish are around 5cm now, maybe a little more. I didn't think to measure them when they were out of the tank, but I have held the ruler up to the tank near them to get a guesstimate.

Their head shapes seem a bit different at this point but I know that's nothing to go on. :?

Since I moved them last night, the one that had taken up residence in a cave has not returned to it in the new tank. One is still hiding under bogwood while the other has taken to some stacked slate. Who knows if he/she'll go back to the cave.