3 new fry!

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Cascudo
Obsessed!!

3 new fry!

Post by Cascudo »

Hello everyone!

I am pleased to tell that today I seperated 3 new fry. This is already the fourth breeding, coming to a total of 10 living fry now.
I already released the one fry from the second breeding and he is still hiding al lot but doing well (it was the hooligan that was beating up his little brothers and now he is getting some beating himself from the oldest brother from the first breeding :twisted: ). But don't worry it is nothing serious, just some typical zebra tolerance :roll:

I am sorry that I don't give my contribution to this site on a more regular base, but I am very busy with my study at the moment.
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

Thats good news man!! Congratulations!! :lol:
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
Adam

Post by Adam »

Congrats Cascudo!! :lol: Your zebras seem to have things figured out. How much time elapsed between each of the spawns? Just curious to know.

Don't worry about not being able to post more frequently due to other commitments, sounds like you have a life outside of keeping zebras unlike me :lol: .

Well done, keep up the good work :D .

Adam
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

That's wonderful! Congrats! :D

is anybody keeping score of how many new ones we've (I'm all the fry's auntie, that's why I say we :lol: ) got this year??
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

Well done! How long have you had the zebras, what sort on conditions did they breed in? i am nterested to find out how you managed it as i am hopefully going to get mine to breed ( when i finally get some! ) do you have an pics? sorry for the interigation, once again well done!!
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

Thanks for the friendly responses :D
How much time elapsed between each of the spawns?
Adam, I think about 2 months. but I have to look it up to be more precisely.
is anybody keeping score of how many new ones we've
McEve, I use this thread to post my updates:http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=263
Mabye this one could be made a "Sticky" so it is always on top.
Well done! How long have you had the zebras, what sort on conditions did they breed in?
Shell, I have my zebra's for almost 3 years now, they only started spawning last summer. In fact I don't do much effort to create special conditions. I take care well of the tank, but I don't practice cold water floods, I don't have extra powerheads and I don't try to change the water's chemistry. I just keep the temperature at 29 degr. celsius and I provide a simple PVC tube as a breeding cave (an advantage is that I can easily remove the fry).
My simple philosophy is that you just need patience and a little luck. I do think that it helps to leave them alone as much as possible.
My first breeding happened during my holiday (which gave the zebra's the oportunity to have a holiday from me :wink: ). It happened by the way in a rather overstocked tank. Presently they have the tank practically for their own, sharing it just with a school of Rasbora hengeli and Amano shrimps.

In fact I had to rescue this last breeding in an early stage. One day I saw the male out of his breeding cave on a rather unusual moment (not during feeding time) when I looked better I saw that a bundle of eggs were outside the tube, this situation was appearently stressing the male.
I picked up the tube with te male inside it and dropped the bundle of eggs inside the tube. From then on the male stayed inside the tube, appearently satisfied being rejoined with the lost eggs
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

How many zebras in the breeding colony? and whar ratio do have?
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

1 male and 3 females.
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

ratio id how many males to females which you answered thanks
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

sounds like you have a life outside of keeping zebras unlike me
Hmmm, Adam, I have something outside of keeping zebras, but it doesn't feel like having a life :?

Can't wait till study is over :P
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

oh! what you studying?
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

I am doing a bachelor degree in IT in the evening and weekend.
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

I saw that a bundle of eggs were outside the tube
In fact I was amazed by the size of the zebra eggs. I had never seen them before. They are bigger then these of the bristlenose pleco and white instead of yellow.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Cascudo, are you doing Java by any chance? I had to give up, just couldn't find the time what with all the family commitments. just as well really it use to melt my brain.

I have heard that zebra eggs are quite large, perhaps this is why their spawns are not bigger.
Last edited by Adam on Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

No, it is in fact a course to supplement a rather technical course I finished before.
This one handles about organisation and management, quality, business strategy, marketing, IT economy and more of this stuff.