zebra spawn

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Ramon

zebra spawn

Post by Ramon »

Hello everyone. This is my first post and wanted to share my first zebra spawn. There are
six babies in all. I have a "breeding colony" consisting of one male and two females. Here are some not so great photos of the babies.

Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

Quality!!

Is that a pile of Tubifex I see in the 2nd pic?
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
Ramon

Post by Ramon »

Thanks Dr. P! Those are live blackworms for the adults. The fry have since been transferred to a growout tank.

Ramon
Jo
Obsessed!!

Post by Jo »

Well done Ramon grat looking fry, any hints for the rest of us still trying for that first spawn? Did you do anything to trigger the spawning?
Jo
Obsessed!!

Post by Jo »

Well done Ramon grat looking fry, any hints for the rest of us still trying for that first spawn? Did you do anything to trigger the spawning?
Ramon

Post by Ramon »

Thanks Jo. Nothing different than my routine of 75% water changes once a week with tap (pH 7.4, 300 microsiemens) which I've been doing for the past several months. I believe conditioning the adults with lots of good food is most important.

Ramon
Adam

Post by Adam »

Well done Ramon, nice looking babies you have there :D .

As you say feeding a varied good quality diet to bring the fish into breeding condition is important. I've used black worms on corys before to bring them into condition, may well try it again but on my zebras this time.

Once again congrats on your breeding success :D .
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Ramon,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations with your spawn. How many fry did you get?

Are Blackworms the same as Tubifex worms?. If they are, I would not chance them with my fish, as I have had numerous problems with Live Tubifex in the past.

Regards,
Des.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Blackworms are NOT the same as tubifex. They are raised in California in ponds, specifically for feeding trout. Their secondary usage for the aquarium hobby is just an added benefit to the worm farmers. There is an article on culturing them Here. While I've had fatalities from zebras fed frozen bloodworms, I've never lost anything from feeding the blackworms.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Ramon

Post by Ramon »

Thanks Adam and Des.

There are six babies in all.

Like Barbie said, blackworms are not the same as Tubifex. I have not had any problems using them with my plecos and other fish like Discus. I get mine from www.aquaticfoods.com. There are always risks feeding live food but I have been happy with the blackworms from this source.

Ramon
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Ramon and Barbie,

Thanks for your replies. I learnt something new today. Thanks for the culturing article too. You guys in the US are pretty lucky,Your Zebras are CHEAPER, plus you get all the foods. I was looking for Daphnia Moina, which is the smaller version of the standard Daphnia. Cultures are available in the US but not the UK. !!!!!

Adam,

Where in the UK, do you get your Blackworms (Lumbriculus) from?

Regards,
Des.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

I honestly think zebras are only cheaper because there are more people here in the US spawning them. There were also much greater numbers of them around. The price is heading up though. There's 4 adults on aquabid for a buy it now price of $1000. It's crazy!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Adam

Post by Adam »

Des wrote:Adam,

Where in the UK, do you get your Blackworms (Lumbriculus) from?
Hi Des,

You can get freshwater blackworms from here: www.blades-bio.co.uk
A friend of mine gets food for his lizards from this company and he told me about them. You might want to ask them for your Daphnia Moina as they can do special orders from the US.
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Thanks Adam,

I will contact them.

Des.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

HI Ramon

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on having your first spawn. Did you run round the house yelling when you discovered there were eggs in the cave!!! :lol: :lol: The only thing about the zebras that seems entirely predictable is the effect they have on their owners when they breed!! :lol: :lol:

Welcome on board mate.

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"