Wanted plecs in the Essex area!

If you are a private seller, then why not give this a shot? It's free and might even have some of those zebra thingies! You can also post requests for exchanging or loaning fish. Please refrain from posting opinions or irrelevancies in this section.

Zebrapleco.com can not take ANY responsibility for items advertised or sold in this section as they are free classifieds. Members not following the Forum Rules however will have their Posts deleted.

Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Wanted plecs in the Essex area!

Post by Shell231 »

I would dearly love 5 or 6 zebras i live in the essex area i can collect if not to far! anyone got any going for sale?
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi shell,

Nothing doing in the general essex area regarding zebras.

You might want to check these links for the availability of zebras though.

http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/php/

and

http://www.tropicalfishfinder.co.uk/
Adam

Post by Adam »

Shell,

If you are absolutely desperate and have wads of spare cash you could always try http://www.wildwoods.co.uk/. Mind you they are very pricey at £195 and they are very young fish, not much more than an inch in length.
Personally I would hold out for some of Rob's zebras.
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

Adam! are u taking the mick wildwoods! lol i love zebras but £195 for inch long ones no thanks x x i will look at the others though, rob is holdong out on me he says he cant get oxygen in the bags ( overnight carrier ) would they be ok then? lol
Adam

Post by Adam »

Well I wasn't to know, the boyfriend could have been a sugar daddy with loads of dosh. Far better to hold out for Rob's zebras. If you do plan on making the trip to Robs I really would advise on getting hold of an oxygen cylinder if he doesn't have one. I doubt that they would make that sort of distance in an unoxygenated bag. You might also want to consider some form of insulation.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I traded some of my fry with fry from another breeder in Norway last week. They were transported by train between us, each doing a 12 hour trip in plastic bags, no extra oxygen added. They all did fine.

When you travel with the fish, you also will have the option to open the bags and let new air in the bags. And of course, give each fish a large bag each if they're adults!
Last edited by McEve on Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Just been looking on ebay about oxgen cylinders!! :lol:

Shell231, good idea to watch out in the sales and wants section in www.planetcatfish.com
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

They do them shippng boxes i could buy him boxes to ship them in and a heat pack! :D i wish my boyfriend was my sugar daddy he is useless bless him i get most things but i think he woud say no to wildwoods! unfortunatly
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Guys I ship fish all the time without oxygen. Just make sure there's 3 times as much air in the bags as water, that the fish have been fasted a day before shipment, and keep them warm. If you're driving to fetch them anyway, they won't be cold or thrown around and should do just fine. I sent some to Ed yesterday that were barely an inch and they all arrived safe and sound after 14 hours in bags.

I shipped long fin ancistrus to NY a few weeks ago by USPS (which I refuse to use, but I was trying to do the guy a favor!) and they lost the package. When it arrived 3 DAYS later, the fish were still alive. Cold, but alive (60 hour heat packs had run out).

We use oxygen at work, so I have access to it, but it's a pain for me to drive down there and then back again. It can help with shipping, but it's definitely not going to be an absolute requirement. As long as you can fast the fish a day before shipping, they honestly do fine. You won't be paying freight that way, so just put them in bigger bags!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

marvelous! so it in insulation we have to worry about now then lol Rob what sort of prices would they go for?
Adam

Post by Adam »

I can see that would work. A few fish in a large bag with much more air than water, I would still feel more comfotable knowing that there was sufficient oxygen in there.
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

how much do they use in a night most de not a whole bag, i have seen some proper big bags! like dustbin liners
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

I've always found that beer coolers do the job. They are double ined and retain the temp for a good 12 hours or so.

As for price... I have no Idea!! I am torn between two evils. One is the fact that wholey disagree with the amount that is currently being charged for zebras as it is making them into a "commodity" and something just to make money out of!! On the other hand, I've spent a fortune setting up their little home :wink: , and keep them for 2 years........My god I as well have some kids!!!! :wink: :lol:

I think it will all depend on the size of the fish when it come to the time to sell.

Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

Well that is far enough if u have a family to feed you got to do what you go to do, ROB MARRY ME!!!!!! lol :lol:
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hey Rob, bet you never thought that breeding zebras would get you marriage proposals :lol: :lol: . This hobby just gets better and better. I never thought that keeping zebras would be attractive to the opposite sex. I hope that my lot start breeding soon, I'm really missing out here.