Homemade food

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Homemade food

Post by McEve »

Thought I might as well post this here as well, I was asked in a private post what the ingredients are, and... well, here goes:

Several people have asked me to write down the recipe for the homemade food I use. I have so far used the "gefuhl" method, and not been very scientific or precise when I make it, so I was planning on writing a bit about how much I use of the different ingredients the next time I make a batch.

But, the major ingredient is prawns. I use the cooked ones with the shell still on it, and cut part of the tail, the spear and the legs off in one diagonal cut before throwing them in a blender. Let the blender run until the prawns are as finely ground as you can get them. Then add whatever veggies and other seafoods you have. I use crab, fish, mussels, calamari - cooked or uncooked. for veggies, parboiled carrots, squash (zuccini, gorgettes), peas, spinach, capsicum - whatever I have, and blend it together with the prawns until I have a fairly solid mix, and everything is finely ground. Add a couple of capsules (open the capsules and use the powdered spirulina only) of spirulina, and then put the mix in a plastic freezerbag.

Pat the bag flat, making sure there's no bubbles left in the mixture, and put in the freezer - on a flat surface.

Then you can carve pieces of it, and feed :)

Don't be scared to experiment. As long as you would eat the ingredient it's going to be good for the Zebra as well - within reason - don't put chocolate in the mix just because you like it :lol: Anything marine and veggies - not fruit, you know - common sense :)

I'll get back to you about the exact amounts if you like, but.. it's really no big deal, as long as the mix isn't runny - which will make it messy to feed, then you can't go wrong really....
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi McEve,

I tried "your" recipe a couple of weeks ago.
I used 2 lb large prawns, 2 lbs new zealand mussels, 1 large carrot and 1 lb frozen spinach.(Forgot the garlic). Blended all in a food processor.
All my fish (All plecs , including whiptails, angels, discus, even tetras) love this mixture . The zebras especially have improved their colour and are a lot more full in their tummy area !!!
Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Des.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

yup, I forgot to mention the garlic, I use minced garlig bought in a jar, about one teaspoon for one batch. One batch would be based on about 1Kg of prawns, and the prawns are about 80% of the total mix.

There's tons of recipes on homemade fish foods to be found on the Internet, and none of them are the same. That's why I say don't be afraid to experiment, as I think what's right for one might be improved by the next :D

Glad to hear your fish are doing good on homemade, it's very nutritious, and also much cheaper than factorymade.
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi McEve

I'm just off down the shops!!!!!

Excellent instructions McEve, are you OK if I copy this and put it in a post as a sticky in the Hints and Tips Section.

:lol: Rob
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

No problem with that at all Rob! I hope it might be useful, and if nothing else provides a bit of inspiration to others to make homemade foods. It's really not that hard, it takes an hour and you've got healthy food for a month. A time *and* moneysaver if you ask me :D
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

WONDERFUL!! recipe idea i am most defanatly going to use this!! thanks Barbie!!
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

lol! :oops: sorry i meant McEve! :oops:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

:lol:

There's an edit button up in the right corner of your posts as well :)
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

oh yes! so there is
Shell231
Mentally Certified!

Post by Shell231 »

I have heard from another person who makes there own food that banana helps bind it together? dont now how true it is might be worth giving it a go
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I'm not so sure sugar is good for them? I've also seen some recipes with gelatine, also to bind the mix. I've had no need for it though, as it binds good enough without it. Just make sure to dry the vegetables with a paper towel before putting it in the mix.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Shell I would advise against using bananas in the mix, personally I wouldn't chance it with zebras.

McEve I was thinking of adding some powdered tetra prima to the recipe to act as a binding agent if required and to add even more nutritional value. Do you think this would be ok?
KenW
Obsessed!!

Post by KenW »

Anyone see a problem of using raw shrimp instead of cooked shrimp?
du ma
Obsessed!!

Post by du ma »

the raw ones might contain some bacteria no? unless they are from the sea, then i guess it be alright
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Adam wrote:Shell I would advise against using bananas in the mix, personally I wouldn't chance it with zebras.

McEve I was thinking of adding some powdered tetra prima to the recipe to act as a binding agent if required and to add even more nutritional value. Do you think this would be ok?
I think that would work just fine. I know some people also put vitamins in the mix.

We might just end up with best recipe ever now that so many people are trying this :D