feeding tab for small ones..

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
Miezekatze
Obsessed!!

feeding tab for small ones..

Post by Miezekatze »

hi

i guess my fries are now 6 days old... but now i have a problem. thursday morning i have to leave to visit my parents till sunday afternoon. the fries are still in the cave, but i want to seperate them. but i can`t feed them in this time. shall i let them in the cave? but then i think they will leave the cave since sunday, so i can`t seperate them anymore. what would you do ?
Kind Regards
Christian

http://www.APSnet.de
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

i would leave them with dad. What if you separate them and one dies in the breeder trap. Then you'll have a contamination problem and fungis that might affect the others.

With a well established tank like yours I think they'll be able to find food when the time comes, and I don't think the others willl bother them.

have you had bad experiences with leaving the fry in the tank before?
Miezekatze
Obsessed!!

Post by Miezekatze »

hi eve

no, this is the first spawn, in which the fries survived. both times before the male didn't care for them.

but i think its hard to search for them in the tank when they leave the cave..
Kind Regards
Christian

http://www.APSnet.de
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Yes it is hard to find them in a large tank :) But I've found with mine that they stay in the same place, as a group, wherever it is, so it's possible to feed close to them. I've found that they will come out and feed on pellets when presented to them.

You probably won't be able to catch them before they get a bit bigger though, as they're lightning fast.

I really think they should be ok in the tank though.

Maybe there's an option I haven't thought about. The other members will help too I'm sure :)
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I do both- some fry are left in the breeder tank and others I move. The only way I have ever been able to move fry out of the breeder tank once thay have left the cave is to break the tank down to bare glass. I even have to remove the heaters, power heads and filter intakes in order to remove anything the fish can hide behind. Once that is done the fry tend to clump in groups in the corners and I can get them out.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
John

Post by John »

I would leave them with dad and try to get them out on sunday.
(But i would only try to get them out if they still are in the cave, if they would have wandered out by then i would leave them in the tank)

BTW congrats christian :wink:
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

TwoTankAmin wrote:The only way I have ever been able to move fry out of the breeder tank once thay have left the cave is to break the tank down to bare glass. I even have to remove the heaters, power heads and filter intakes in order to remove anything the fish can hide behind.
:lol: They are a pain aren't they, bless them :lol:

On that note, make sure the filter intake don't have large enough gaps for a little Zebra to squeeze through. The larger Eheim filters do... And yes, congrats! :D