How many Zebras do you own?

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
zeberdy
Obsessed!!

How many Zebras do you own?

Post by zeberdy »

Ok I am being nosey but if you dont ask then you will never know :lol:

I am obsessed with the zeb and curently own 21 of them and one day they may even breed :wink:
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

4 Adults 1 Fry
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

This thread gives a quick overview:
http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=263
pandadosmares
Groupie

Post by pandadosmares »

4 adults (it was supposed to be 2 couples) but i have doubts :wink:
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

Hi Guys, just bought four today from Pier Aquatics in Wigan - Yea, a bit if a drive from the New Forest, 610miles to be exact but hey, i've completed my collection - 11 fish rangin from 1.5" to 3".
here are the newbies:

Niel, the owner collected the fish himself and had video footage and habitat shots from when he was there in August :shock: !!! WOWWW :shock: Spent a while talking to him.

He collects them from about eight feet down and said that their habitat stretches some 30 - 200Km along the Xingu, so he thinks that thoughts about flooding from a dam are over exagerated. He has said that they are breeding them still in captivity along certin stretches but the Brazilian Govt are banning them for the time being. His thoughts were that insode two or three years they will be exported again once wild stocks have recovered - who knows. He recons that they feed from a freshwater sponge that covers the rocks that are there - he tried to get some back but it died - they are notoriously hard to keep apparently. Some of the other fish there were amazing, he had about 6 10" Merodontotus tigrinus, my fopurth favourite fish, about eight differet types of stingray and some catfish that were amazing - 1foot+ nigrolineatus etc, 12" scobinancistrus auratus etc WOW - how cool

Sorry :oops: getting a bit excited, must be all the driving - some way to spend your first day off in two weeks.

The footage/pics of the habitat were really cool though.
Cheers

Tristan :) :) :D :D

PS they are really active and actually venture out under the light - i can finally see some of the fish i have spent the best part of a grand on :shock:
Last edited by Tristan on Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
L046, L033, L117, L200, L027, L014, Discus, & malawis
zeberdy
Obsessed!!

Post by zeberdy »

just bought four today from Pier Aquatics in Wigan - Yea, a bit if a drive from the New Forest, 610miles to be exact
Now thats what I call dedicated :lol: Glad to hear you finally got some but why didn't you steal the videoso we could all see it :wink:
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

I tried to but he started to beat me :shock: :lol: :wink:
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

I would love to pick tha tguy' Neil's brain () no, not like in Shaun of the Dead) for all teh little tiny details.
Freshwater sponge? Hm.....
'Gratz on the acquisition, Trist. I'm trying ot collect mine still;)
pandadosmares
Groupie

Post by pandadosmares »

if you need some help will put up a mob :lol: ~

videooooo
RisaMoe

Post by RisaMoe »

How many zebras...not enough!!

9 adult wild caught
3 wild juveniles
3 F1 juveniles

And always on the lookout for more. :wink:

Ed, ping me on your zebra quest, I have some info for you.
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

OK, I pinged ou. I hope it doesn't leave a mark. ;)
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

I'd give my hind teeth to get a look at that vid. Add 1 more to the list for the linching squad!!
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

Dr P you and the Scottish crew are probably closer? It took me nearly 6 Hours driving each way.

The pictures showed the river, that looked more like a stream as it was in the dry season (interestingly enough, he showed me pics of a couple of scarlet plecs that were heavily gravid(they return those immediately) he said that you find several gravid females there, are they waiting for the rainy season?)

8 Foot was the maximum depth that he collected them at. They were using compressed air etc but he said that the current was very strong and could hardly stand up in knee deep water, he said that the natives must have claws because they can stand up waist high - must be some technique. There are lots of large boulders visible above the surface and below the waterline. I suppose that smaller pebbles etc would be washed away.

Tristan :)
zeberdy
Obsessed!!

Post by zeberdy »

Do you have a contact number for this guy? Phone him, beg him if you have too..tell him we must see this video :cry:
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

i'll give him a call see if he can email em some of teh photos etc, the video was mainly of him and his mates on the trip but the photos i thought were better, underwater was quite murky and the oxygen bubbles were making it difficult to focus etc.
Tristan