Good news! - and Bad news :(

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

McEve
Hypan-guru!

Good news! - and Bad news :(

Post by McEve »

I decided to remove the backing of my caves, so I could get the fry out of the cave more easily, should I be lucky enough to get another spawn.

During the process of removing one cave at a time and replacing the back with a removable "door", I found another fry in one of the caves, about 3 month old I guess :D

And in one cave in the other tank, I found one dead female :(

There's fry in that tank, and they all do well, all parameters are ok, but I have noticed a smell from the tank water that I couldn't quite put my finger on what was..... The fish was whole, but obiously decaying, so my guess is that she died about 2 or three days ago.

Looks like Zebras don't eat their own though... This is a major set back in my plans for establishing a second group :( I'm still glad all the others seem ok.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

Oh McEve! I'm so sorry! That's always a bad blow :( At least you found the fry to soften it, but still!

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Thanks Barbie. It was a rather bad blow, I've had the girl since she was less than 2 inches, and just now getting mature :(

I guess I still have been lucky, as I haven't lost anybody else to unknown circumstances since I started with Zebras. It was just lucky I decided to go through the caves to change the design of them, otherwise the water might have been polluted enough to affect the others.

It could have been much worse. I'd be crushed had I lost all the fry as well!

Finding an extra fry was a real joy! I found the fry before discovering my girl, so I was up there before being brought down to earth again.

Thanks again, they're all precious :(

Sorry about rambling, it was just a shock :?
Adam

Post by Adam »

McEve, I'm so sorry to hear about the death of your zebra :cry: . As Barbie said at least you found another fry but it's small consolation for the female. I wonder what's going on? There has been a spate of zebra deaths reported on the forum recently.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Thank you Adam

It must be coincidental? There's so many more members now than before, maybe that's why? We're almost bound to loose one once in a while, I just hope it doesn't happen for a long time again!

On another note, Adam... what happened to the one you had with a "wart" on his pectoral fin? Did it disappear?
Adam

Post by Adam »

No problem McEve, it's always sad to lose one of these precious little fish.
You're probably right the deaths have been coincidental due to the increased number of members.

That's a point I totally forgot to post about the zebra with the wart. Well I left it alone for a while but the growth just continued to grow and became HUUUGE. At this point it was obviously troubling the zebra as it stopped feeding and became extremely emaciated. I was convinced that it was going to die so I operated and removed the growth. The zebra is well on the road to recovery, it has a bit of it's pec fin missing but it appears to be growing back very slowly. It's also feeding well now and has regained all of the weight it lost. I'll knock up a post about it at some point if anyones interested.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I'm glad to hear he's doing better Adam! Now you're a microsurgeon as well :D

I'm sure people here are interested in knowing what happened to him, so a post with an update will most surtainly be welcomed I'm sure :)
Cascudo
Obsessed!!

Post by Cascudo »

I am really sorry to hear about your lost zebra McEve :( that is too bad, but it is a happy circumstance you found at the same time one you didn't expect to have! :D

I am really interested about this operation Adam. I think it is admirable that you had the courage to do it. My male has got a wart as well, on his side. But fortunately it is not growing. But I might need to know about your experience one day. I am afraid that a vet won't be able to help.
wandj
Obsessed!!

Post by wandj »

My little Zebra had a huge pinkish wart on the side of its head behind its eye. I think it was there about a month, but it completely went away on its own.
This reminds me of what my doctor told me when I had a ganglion cyst on my forearm. He said he could cut it out or just leave it and it would go away by itself. I left it alone and sure enough, in awhile, it went away on its own.
Your decision, but I would prefer to let the "pinkish" thing be unless there was a real health issue....like refusing food, suffering, etc. My Zebra acted completey normal throughout the whole thing. It is only about 1.5" long fish.