Zebra Plecs

If you are a private seller, then why not give this a shot? It's free and might even have some of those zebra thingies! You can also post requests for exchanging or loaning fish. Please refrain from posting opinions or irrelevancies in this section.

Zebrapleco.com can not take ANY responsibility for items advertised or sold in this section as they are free classifieds. Members not following the Forum Rules however will have their Posts deleted.

Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi McEve,
I too believe that Fish shop owners/ wholesalers etc have to make a living , but the reason for my comment was that I had heard, I think on Planet Catfish ,that some wholesalers/exporters in Brazil had been imprisoned at the end of last year for exporting fish with wrong identities/qtys.
Regards
Des :(
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Illegal exports is something that shouldn't be supported by ways of buying the fish :( But from one of the postings on planetcatfish I understand that exporting Hypancistrus has, strictly speaking, never been allowed, which I didn't know before reading that post. This is only as I have understood it, and I surtainly might be wrong!

If this is true then it's a shame that they made an example of those people, if they did indeed get a prison sentence , as export of Hypancistrus has been going on for quite a few years.

It's a different matter now that export is strictly forbidden, from 1. Jan, as it seems the export has (if that post tells the truth) never been allowed but silently condoned
Ed_R
Obsessed!!

Post by Ed_R »

SOmeone had their hand out, it didn't get filled, so they stopped looking the other way. Typical and common in New World countries. Or someone got paid better to STOP the exports. EIther way, bad juju.

Seriously.
Adam

Post by Adam »

McEve I spoke at length with Keith today about divulging his German source for zebras but he just laughed and said "ply me with copious amounts of beer and I'll think about it". I don't think he will tell me as I would then be able to buy zebras direct from the wholesaler for less, well it was worth a try.

Des, the people arrested at the end of last year had more to do with drug trafficking than the illegal export of fish. I guess they were looking to branch out into a more profitable line of business what with the plec ban looming.

Good luck to the suppliers that have managed to stockpile zebras, smart business move. Only problem is that the longer they have them the more they would have cost to maintain which in turn reduces the amount of profit to be had. Risky business sitting on a perishable commodity for so long. Anyway I think that the limit for what people in the west are prepared to pay for zebras will soon be reached, if it hasn't already, in which case they may not make the huge profit they were looking for.

What saddens me is that the greed of a few has probably prematurely depleted wild stocks and brought about the ban. Equally sad is the fact that many people have been priced out of the market and that remaining stocks are more than likely destined for the far east where they will command exorbitant prices.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Adam wrote:McEve I spoke at length with Keith today about divulging his German source for zebras but he just laughed and said "ply me with copious amounts of beer and I'll think about it". I don't think he will tell me as I would then be able to buy zebras direct from the wholesaler for less, well it was worth a try.
I guess one can't blame him for not wanting to disclose his source :) But thanks for asking him Adam!
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Adam,

Where did you get your info that the imprisonment of fish exporters was due to drug trafficking
See attached link on planet catfish. Please read the answer from Prof L. Chao in Brazil to Jannes questions.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9351

Regards,
Des
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Deleted copy of above post
Last edited by Des on Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam

Post by Adam »

I heard you the first time Des :wink:.

Like you I heard from 3 different UK importers using different suppliers. I had kind of thought that there may be something in it :? . The link you posted is obviously the definitive answer. That's 2 gaffs in one week, I think I'll retire from posting now. Apologies to everyone for the non-factual info.

See you guys around. :cry:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Noooooo I don't want to be the only mental one here! :shock:

I agree the true answer is probably in the link that was refered to here, but nobody can blame you for believing what you said was true. I've read about it being drug trafficing as well, in another thread somewhere.

Don't go!

.... Wait... you're pulling my leg right :? line sink and .... got me there Adam :lol:
Eelke
Forum Follower

Post by Eelke »

I don't know about those stocking rumours from german traders....What I do know is that there a quite a few german L46 breeders, so it would not be to hard to stock lots of tankbred zebra's over there. Just 2 months ago, german breeders were offering their tankbreds for anything between 20 and 50 euro's (sometimes slightly more, but not much more). Prices for tankbreds, bought directly from breeders are up to 100 euro's now allready, but they are still offered quite often.
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Adam,
Sorry about posting twice, even I make mistakes sometimes. :roll: Have deleted the second posting.
Dont go !!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: We need someone to correct everynow and then !!!!!! Remember to Err is human. :wink:
Des
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Andrew C, did you get replacements for the two Zebras? Did it all work out ok in the end?
Adam

Post by Adam »

Alright guys I'll come back, I wouldn't be able to stay away as I would be forced to take up another hobby to fill the void. I promise to try and get my facts right before posting next time. :wink:

I'm also curious to know if Andrew C was able to get a refund/replacement for the 2 DOA zebras.
Andrew C
Obsessed!!

Post by Andrew C »

Hello All
Not been online much lately, been doing some overtime, to pay for expensive fish :D

The fish shop were trying to get me a couple of replacements, but to no avail, so i asked for a refund today when seeing how they got on.

It was the cold that killed the Zebras, the shop owner agreed after he got the box back they came in.
It only had 2 Heat Packs (i think, they are the plastic bags that are filled with foam ?) and some newspaper.
The tempature the night they got Couriered was below freezing and they were in a box in the back of a van :(
Eelke
Forum Follower

Post by Eelke »

I just found out that there are indeed smart german bussinesmen who have bought large amounts of L46 to speculate on priseraise...I am meeting one Saturday in 2 weeks. Prices are awfully high, but I have far to many male zebra's (probalby less than 15 of my 55 are female) and I can choose 20 females outoff a 200 zebra stock (all 7 cm and larger). It's a one time oppurtunity for me to get a really large breeding programm going on, so I am taking that chance.

To be continued.

Regards,

Eelke