First time Zebra Dad

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

Aha, its the 3 amigos!! LOL. Very cool mate. I am so happy for you!!!
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Today morning, found one of the fry dead.The reason for its demise is unknown. Just as a safeguard have put a piece of Polyfilter in the tank.
The other 3 are fine and should have used up all the egg sac by this weekend.
Should also have a photo update this weekend. Will reduce the photos before I post them !!!!!!!! Am still learning .LOL
Regards,
Des.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I'm sorry to hear you lost one! :( I also have lost fry before the eggyoulk is used up. I wonder what could cause this.. Is it normal/usual? Could it be something we don't do, or do? It most probably is something wrong with the fry and nature is taking it's course though.

It's still so sad to loose a baby :(
Dr. P
Mentally Certified!

Post by Dr. P »

Thats sad mate. :( Looking forward to the pics of the 2 amigos tho. I have a new camera on it's way so I'll show you mine if you show me yours :wink: :lol: :lol:
Sword Pies. As Good as it Gets - Guaranteed!! [img]http://www.refreshdesign.co.uk/dale/scotsmile2.gif[/img]
Rob
Hypan-guru!

Post by Rob »

Hi Des

Sorry that took so long matey, I've been working away again, (oh ain't work wonderful!!! :? )

Anyway, congrads again Des, excellent little fry.

As far as breeding success goes, there will be a specific section in the new forum/site that will be online in feb for articles and spawning data. Hopefully as it has been suggested, it will give us a chance to finally compare parameters and find out if there isa trigger to spawning these little beauties!!!

But you will need to log in to find the secret!!!mhwhaaaaaaaaa :twisted:
The perfect white lie..."Of course I didn't pay that much for the fish honey"
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hi Des, sorry to hear that you lost one of the little fellas :cry: . Hope the rest are OK, keep us posted.
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Rob,
Thanks very much for trimming the earlier photographs as requested.
They look much more realistic now. Come on, let me in on the secret. How on earth did you do that.
Will post some more pictures this weekend.

As for the one fry that died :( , I really have no idea why . The night before it died ,all fry were acting normal. The next morning , found it at the surface near the aeriator. The other 3 are doing ok.

As a trial I will try and lower the hardness from 7 to about 3 or 4 gh by increasing the amount of RO in the water changes to about 70%, and see what effect that has on the next brood, the number of hatchlings and their success at getting to the free swimming stage.

Has anyone bred Zebras in hard water approx 12 to 15 Gh and were 100%sucessful in all the fry hatching out and getting to the free swimming stage ? I am just trying to figure out the effect of hardness on hatch rate.I know that almost all soft water loving fish will lay in harder water but not always are they all fertile or do not hatch out.

Regards,
Des. :)
wandj
Obsessed!!

Post by wandj »

I have some info that shows a big brood of Zebras in hard water. I tried to post it but it would not work. Just PM me.
wandj
Obsessed!!

Post by wandj »

Aha! Got it. I hope it works!

wandj
Obsessed!!

Post by wandj »

What is said in the paragraph is this:

The winner gets 15 F1 Zebra Plecos. They were born in Southern Californias hard and alkaline tap water and are fed sinking pellets since birth. They should be free from parasites and come from more than one breeding group. Some of these fry are 2 years old and from the looks of it are mostly females. Blah blah blah about delivery, etc.

If you send me your email, I will send you a better pic.
du ma
Obsessed!!

Post by du ma »

thanks for the picture wandj

ive seen this auction before. i though of bidding but the price was way too high for me
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Wandj,

Thanks for posting the above info on Zebras bred in hard water. I have sent you my e-mail.

Does anyone know the water parameters in Southern California .( or contact info on the breeder)

Regards,
Des
chris

Post by chris »

Hi Des, I said id look up your pics and i have to hand it to you that really is a bit special. Congratulations!!! you know where to come when your over run with fry right :wink: and nice pics Iggy!
du ma
Obsessed!!

Post by du ma »

i tested my tap water with the tds meter and came up with 240 ppm. southern ca. in the san gabriel valley
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi du ma,
Thanks for the info on tds.
Any chance of finding out the General Hardness and KH (Carbonate hardness).
The TDS out of the tap here ,tested today is 680 micro siemens.
Thanks again,

Hi Chris,
Its good of you to join the forum. Wellcome.
Thanks for your comments. You'll have to join the queue for some fry !!!!!!!!!! :wink:
If you need a discus medication consultant, you know who to come to. :wink:
Regards,
Des.