galaxy rasboras

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
civicr
Obsessed!!

galaxy rasboras

Post by civicr »

does any 1 keep these with there zebs?i was thinking i mite some of these to go with my zebs as ive decided to to take my cardinal neons out of my zeb tank also my 2corys,i want to be more of a spicies tank

thanks ryan
rich1988oxford
Obsessed!!

Post by rich1988oxford »

I dont actually keep these fish myself but we have had a big group for sale at my works for about 3 months now. The grow no more than 25mm and need to be fed lots of fresh and high protien content prepared foods. I reckon they would make an excellent tankmate for zebs as they will place very little extra burden on the filter due to thier size and wont really have an effect on the amount of food reaching the zebs. Males have a red and orange colouration on thier anal fin whereas females have little or no colour in that area, females tend to look slightly plumper although it is very difficult to judge if the have recently eaten. If you like the idea of them then i would say "go for it".
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

I think they are nice and if you have the filtration to handle it go for it! I personally would quarantine them before putting them with the zebras though.
[url]http://tropheusfanatics.invisionzone.com/[/url]
TomSharland
Groupie

Post by TomSharland »

I'd check the temp requirements of the Rasboras, I seem to recall that they like it cooler then the Zebs (22-24*C rings a bell).

Tom
Be thankful for wooden floors
smithrc

Post by smithrc »

They look like a slow water fish to me too - fat with big fins...

How would they take to a fast flowing zebra tank?

I know our phantom tetras hated it and died. :(
Moved the rest to a slower tank and they have been fine since.
Click For Our Plecs
[url=http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/gallery/plecs][img]http://www.smithrc.f2s.com/assorted/PlecSig_sm.jpg[/img][/url]
Alistair
Obsessed!!

Post by Alistair »

I agree with Tom, I have been led to believe these fish prefer a temp range similar to that of White Cloud Minnows (20 - 23degrees). The requirments of the two are to different for them to be kept together!

Al.C
rich1988oxford
Obsessed!!

Post by rich1988oxford »

The tank we have the galaxy rasboras in at work it running at 27 degrees centigrade and tuning over probably at least 10 or 15 times an hour. We have kept the rasboras in these condidtions for a good three nearly four months now and they are readily feeding, extreamely brightly coloured and getting on quite happily with about 10 small bristlenose and tetras as large as fully grown serpae's. So i really wouldnt see a major problem with putting them with zebs. I know there expensive, but why not start off with say three and see how they do over a two week period. I reckon you will be surprised at just how easy to keep the really are.
Alistair
Obsessed!!

Post by Alistair »

The high temp doesn't kill them immediately, their metabolism speeds up and the live a shorter life accordingly, I have had experiance of this with killies, In a hot summer one year I could not get the temp down in their tanks. At the higher temp they are still active and feeding but tend not to last as long as ones kept at their normal (lower) temp. It also tends to leave them slightly stressed (think how you are in the summer when you get hot and bothered in the sun!) and they are left open to disease as a consequence.

Al.C
rich1988oxford
Obsessed!!

Post by rich1988oxford »

yer, i suppose thats a good point because like a said we have had them for about four months so you would'nt really be able to tell whether it is having an effect on the life expectancy or growth rate.