size of breedin colony

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Jo
Obsessed!!

size of breedin colony

Post by Jo »

Hi I have a group of zebra's and was wondering what the ideal number of zebra's there should be in a breeding colony. Should I split them into smaller groups for a better chance or just keep the lot in a big tank?

thanks
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Post by Tom2600 »

Hi

From reading and speaking to people who have got L046 to spawn. It seems they like to live in large groups, but for breeding projects it is often best to have 1 male in a tank with 2-3 mature females. Having said that I have seen reports of spawns taking place in community tanks.

Probably the crucial elements are:

True mature male and some females
Good conditioning food
Warm waters
Lots of current
The perfect cave!!

I am sure those who have actually bred these fish can add a lot more. :D

Good luck

Tom
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Jo,
How many adult males and females do you have?.
The reason I ask is that as an experiment I kept 3 adult males and 5 females together, and have had a female trapped by one of the males for the last 2 weeks. Only yesterday has the male been on his own in the cave.So I am hoping !!!!!!!Tried to use a torch to see if there were any eggs in the back of the cave, but was unable to see anything with the male blocking the view.
Today in the same tank ,another male is trying to trap another female in another cave.
But the general ratio for breeding is one male to 1 or 2 females

Tom 26000,
You are absolutely right. I'm sure you cant wait to get your hands on some zebras.
Regards,
Des.
Jo
Obsessed!!

Post by Jo »

Thanks for the reply's, to be honest im not sure which are males and which are females. Ive read all the info on sexing them but still I can't say for certain. This is the reason I have kept them all togerther. I would post pics up but have not been able to purchase a digital camera yet as ive been spending too much on zebra's lol.

As soon as i get a camera (later this month hopefully) ill post up pics and see if whay u guys think of them.

Good luck Tom it sounds promising possibly 2 clutches at once u must have done something good in a past life :).
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Jo ,
You could always ask Rob, Dr P or Ewee over to sex them for you !!!!!!
How large are they? If they are above 2 1/2 " they are easier to sex.
Regards,
Des.
Jo
Obsessed!!

Post by Jo »

I will do ive posted photos of 3 of them, pics provided from previous owner(pics in male/female) but as soon as i get my camera I will bombard the forum with pics of them to try and sex them.

thanks