zebs and CO2

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
rich1988oxford
Obsessed!!

zebs and CO2

Post by rich1988oxford »

I was thinking of putting some zebs into a quite heavily planted tank which currently has a CO2 canister being pumped into it. Do any of you know of any reasons why this may not be such a good idea.
I mean i know that the CO2 can acidify the water slightly but my tap water is very hard so as long as i keep on top of frequent changes this factor should not be a problem.
John

Post by John »

It's not the PH range you should be worried about, it's the oxygen level you should consider in this matter.
CO2 is not healthy for fish or all living creatures, only for plants and that's only if they get enough light for fotosynthesis.
You can not lower your Ph that much with CO2 but you can poison your fish with it and especially species that need high oxygen levels.
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
rich1988oxford
Obsessed!!

Post by rich1988oxford »

Surely the CO2 is forcing the plants to give up oxygen into thier surroundings so the effect is almost cancelled out. I have the CO2 going in at a rate which is litterally causing oxygen bubbles to be released from the plants leaves which are actually visable and creates a fizzing effect coming off the plants up to the surface.
Dale90g
Groupie

Post by Dale90g »

Don't know your CO2 setup, but if is not automated, and continues to supply CO2 during the night, you could have a problem. At night plants use oxygen. If it is automated (like with a solenoid shut off), and if you are planning to have a few zebras, and only are keeping them as tropical fish hobby, then you might not have a problem, they should survive.

If you want to replicate their environment as far as water quality, they come from high oxygen waters, fast moving - which does not have many plants, and not many do well in this type of water. Another condition for zebs, is temp in the mdi 80s, again, plants don't do well in this water. It would depend on what you are after - you asked a question, and since this web is about zebs, I hope you understand the thought is to lean to keeping them healthy - not just to have them survive.
Dale
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I have a high light co2 added tank, it is problably the last tank I would put zebras into. Zebs like rock and wood work to hide in, not plants. They also seem to do better in higher temp water which most plants do not like. Finally, as noted above, zebs like good flow which will bend many plants or even blow some out of the substrate.

If you want to add zebs to a tank, a discus tank is ideal.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
rich1988oxford
Obsessed!!

Post by rich1988oxford »

cheers for the help. i have got other tanks, i was just trying to see which tank would be best suited.
thanks for the help
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

i agree with the others the planted tank is the last place i would put a zebra. the co2 could malfunction at any point wether controlled or not and kill the wee one.
[url]http://tropheusfanatics.invisionzone.com/[/url]
ApacheDan
Obsessed!!

Post by ApacheDan »

I wish I read this before....too late now. exactly 7 days ago I bought a group of three - 1" zebras. In preparation, I thought about a planted 20 gal aquarium. Had it running for 10 days with a CO2 reactor. I also had a water heater siting in the sand. When I introduced the group, they all ran under the heater. At this time I was running the CO2 from 8:00 am, to 8:00 pm. Eventually 2 of the three found better hiding places, caves, wood, etc. I found one dead under the heater. I believe the CO2 made it nauseous & felt asleep under the heater & a combination of the heat & CO2 killed it. Tough lesson to learn. Needless to say, no more CO2 on any zebra tanks. :cry:
John

Post by John »

Sorry to hear that Apachedan, but at least someone here can spread the word that CO2 can kill your pleco's out of first hand experience.
I read about it many times on german pleco forums. :roll:
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

co2 can easily spike along with swinging ph so i would never keep the two together.

also zebras prefer hotter temps in which plants dont really thrive in so thats another thing to keep in mind along with o2 being less in hotter water.
[url]http://tropheusfanatics.invisionzone.com/[/url]