Beef Heart.

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Adam

Beef Heart.

Post by Adam »

I was thinking of feeding my zebras beef heart occasionally, just to vary their diet a bit. I've seen blister packs of gamma radiated discus mix at my LFS, would this contain beef heart? Is it safe to feed beef heart to zebras? I wouldn't want to make a very costly mistake so I thought I would ask first.
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

I have seen other plecs that i own eating beefheart Adam, so i presume it should be ok. Usually it was overspill from discus feeding but my plecs are fine on it. :)
L046, L033, L117, L200, L027, L014, Discus, & malawis
jerms55555
Obsessed!!

Post by jerms55555 »

My ram cichlids love beef heart and since one of my tanks house two zebras ( i think its a pair, I have to get pictures up in here so you guys could tell me) I feed it too them but i noticed that I see left overs in the caves and other places that my rams can't get to. That scared me and got me to think that my zebras werent eating it and I didn't want to leave left overs in the tank.
So I stopped feeding them beefheart. But you never know, your zebras could like it. I know it won't kill them since i know mine had to taste it once..lol

Jeremy
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I understand Discus and some other cichlids has a different digestive system from catfish, and have seen reports that although catfish will eat beef heart, they're not able to digest it properly. So it won't kill them, but apparently it won't do them much good either.

I might be wrong about this though.