Which L- to start with

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Tongue33

Which L- to start with

Post by Tongue33 »

My question is wich Sp. is a good starter for prepairing to breed L-46.. I've bred easy fish.. But Never Bred Plecs ...

And how many M and F to start with of said Sp.

I can allot 40 gallon tank right now to get this moving :) I am an avid DIY'r and have all the know how in that area to get anything i need with Quality and inexpensiveness :)

So please give me suggestions.. Mind you I am looking for a Sp. that would be similar to breeding L046 :) Oh and how to sex Sp. I will get a book but need a sugg. on where to start first :)

Also there are local breeders breeding Gold Nuggest and Bristle nose so really don't want to go there we have those readily :)
Thanks !!
MacedonianLion
Forum Follower

Re: Which L- to start with

Post by MacedonianLion »

Tongue33 wrote:My question is wich Sp. is a good starter for prepairing to breed L-46.. I've bred easy fish.. But Never Bred Plecs ...

And how many M and F to start with of said Sp.

I can allot 40 gallon tank right now to get this moving :) I am an avid DIY'r and have all the know how in that area to get anything i need with Quality and inexpensiveness :)

So please give me suggestions.. Mind you I am looking for a Sp. that would be similar to breeding L046 :) Oh and how to sex Sp. I will get a book but need a sugg. on where to start first :)

Also there are local breeders breeding Gold Nuggest and Bristle nose so really don't want to go there we have those readily :)
Thanks !!
Some1 is breeding "Gold Nuggest", are you shure? This is the first time i hear about it.
aqua_su

Post by aqua_su »

I've never heard of a succesful Gold Nugget spawn to date either...

I guess you need to ask yourself are you doing it for a commercial venture or pure hobbiest point of view. If the later, why don't you try Ancistrus ranunculus (L34) their spawn in a simular fashion to L46 and are found in the same region.

I'm certain your area wont have too many people breeding these either ;)

I'm currently trying to find some.
Tongue33

Post by Tongue33 »

Macedonianlion wrote:Some1 is breeding "Gold Nuggest", are you shure? This is the first time i hear about it.
My bad.. I don't remember i was just talking with him yesterday..

aqua_su wrote:I've never heard of a succesful Gold Nugget spawn to date either...

I guess you need to ask yourself are you doing it for a commercial venture or pure hobbiest point of view. If the later, why don't you try Ancistrus ranunculus (L34) their spawn in a simular fashion to L46 and are found in the same region.

I'm certain your area wont have too many people breeding these either ;)

I'm currently trying to find some.
Thanks for the reply and suggestion.. And no i don't do commercial.. Don't agree with it :) I would of course ask a price to the hobbiests i interact with.. If i were to succeed.. I have yet to find any for the price i would ask.. I am not in it for the money.. maybe just to recop.. and pay for my hobby habit :) I don't think 30 to 50.00 is unfair .. Especially since from what i've seen here is much higher than that..

And that is only if i succeed.. There is a hobbiest here i like alot and his dream is to own one.,. In which case if i can find some and get some bred :) he would recieve a nice gift :) He has helped me on several occasions and his knowledge has been worth more than it's weight in gold :)

I want somehting that is rare to breed i want something that is beautiful.. I don't.

Anyway i can explain to you all day. but when it comes down to it i believe what i heard was going on here.. and that is my goal.. So i would like to be involved..

Thanks again for the suggestion :)
John

Post by John »

You might try: L66 ,L174 , L201 ,L260 ,L333 or L400.
They are all beautifull hypancistrus species and don't have the L46 pricetag on them.
Greetings,
John
[img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x276/hypancistrus-zebra/half.gif[/img]
dave
Obsessed!!

Hi

Post by dave »

Suggestions for an alternative fish?

I am a little unsure why a previous poster suggested L34.

As with L255 which I keep and because of their looks many people believe they have the same habits or they are the same fish but different races.

I have spent the past 12 months trying to get tips on breeding these, on here, on other forums and from fellow fish breeders.

I can find nothing documented, I have heard one rumour that L34 has been bred once ( The fish world is full of rumours).

Also keeping L255's alive poses a problem and may apply to L34, and on viewing many people postings on Plecos kept, there are very few who actually keep this fish. In the absence of any other evidence I would take this as an indication that they are difficult to keep.

If the poster who suggested L34 could point me in the direction of where the information on breeding was obtained from, it would be appreciated, as I need help with my L255.

If the basis of the suggestion is that they come from the same river, the venture into breeding L34/L255 may become an expensive one and likely not to produce any young, hence disappointment.

IMO L46's are easier to breed than Ranunculus.

It has been pointed out on this site before that people offer advice from hearsay and not experience, this to me is wrong to do asit may lead to people spending hard earned cash on information that may be incorrect.

Take care all

Dave
Tongue33

Well Dave,

Post by Tongue33 »

That blows casue i was ready to go with the Ranunclus :( but oh well.. I will start somewhere else. :)

THanks gusy..
Tongue33

Post by Tongue33 »

I am in no hurry i still have the rest of my life to complete this goal :) JUst hope that the rest of my life includes it's completion LOL