albino ancistrus

If you've got a breeding project on at the moment, (preferably fish related), let us know and you might even get added to the spawn list..whe....hey!

sid
Obsessed!!

albino ancistrus

Post by sid »

Hi All
Im the new daddie to 6 newly hatched albino ancistrus..............really chuffed...........first time for me with plecos...............thinking of giving upthis discus lark .they are too easy :lol:
sid...........perfection dont come easy ,but i get by
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Sid,
Next youve got to try the long finned normal/albino ancistrus. They look superb. All specimens that I have seen for sale, are too small to sex, though.
By the way, how are your L333 doing?.Due to unforseen circumstances, I was unable to buy some from Ricky, However have recently bought some nice 2 to 3" specimens from another source. Hope they are fast growers.
Regards,
Des.
sid
Obsessed!!

Post by sid »

Hi Des
Havent done nothing with the L333 yet.....will need to get em set up right...........but for now ,im just buzzing with my new babies...............FEEL THE POWER lol..............plecs are cool............discus out .........plecs in (its all your fault rob lol)
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Sid,
Were you able to sex the L333?. My young ones look all the same.
I too used to keep and breed Red Turquoise discus many years ago. I agree with you, PLECS are cool.
Regards,
Des
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Congrats of the youngsters!

Post by Tom2600 »

How are the young ancirstrus coming on?

Mine spawned the other week and about 20 youngsters were seen in the shell on Thurs (where the spawn took place). Then I checked yesterday and no sign at all? They are in a very busy community tank and there is no sign so I think they have provided a good meal.

They will spawn again however so what is the best hing for me to do to keep the young safe? I only have my L260 grow on tank running, and its temp is 84F so probably too much for young ancistrus? Does anyone know of a net holder I can place in the tank to grown the next lot of young on?

Cheers and Happy New Year to you all.

Tom
Des
Mentally Certified!

Post by Des »

Hi Tom2600,

There should be some "net holders" at your lfs.

However you could make something better by
1) Buying a 5 or 6" square "tupperware" container
2) cut a 1 or2" hole on opposite sides
3) Attach net or stocking material over holes using silicone
4)Attach Polystyrene floats using rubberband
5) Float fry container in tank
6) use airstone in container or output from sponge filter

The advantage of the above fry container is that the fry food does not fall out of the bottom ,like it does if using a net bag.The fry are also able to feed on the food and algae that attaches to the side of the container.

Regards,
Des
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Post by Tom2600 »

Hi Des,

Thanks for your info.

Looks like some DIY is in order, just need to polish off the rest of the ice-cream, the things we do for this hobby! :wink:

Cheers

Tom
sid
Obsessed!!

Post by sid »

Well the albino ancistrus are at it again .another cluch of eggs at the back of the cave..................man this is sooooooo easy lol...and Rob .get the kettle on .see ya in a bit
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Post by Tom2600 »

Hi Sid,

I agree, once they start there is no stopping them! Mine have just spawned again. :D Sadly I left the last spawn with dad and they all disappeared, but it is a community tank. This time I'm rearing them in a net breeder in the tank.

I'm also looking for a good digital camera at the mo (anyone have any recommendations?) so will hopefully be able to get a few pics soon.

Cheers

Tom
Tristan
Obsessed!!

Post by Tristan »

What sort of camera are you after Tom, and what is your price range, My girlfriend is the tour photographer for the Ladies European golf tour so between us we know a little about photography and cameras, the trouble is that digital is such a fast paced industry that today's dogs danglies :) can be tomorrows mutts :x .

Tristan
L046, L033, L117, L200, L027, L014, Discus, & malawis
Tom2600
Obsessed!!

Post by Tom2600 »

Hi Tristan,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not really into photography but would like a digital camera with a good optical zoom (what is the minimum to best optical zoom I can go for?). Price wise, I don't think I would want to pay more than £300 but I haven't looked into prices so not sure if this is a lot for a digital camera? I do want one with a memory card function though.

My girlfriend's mum just got a digital camcorder with a camera built in, I think I know the answer but are these any good for digital photos?

Thanks again.

Tom
INXS
Obsessed!!

Post by INXS »

Yey!!
I have finally gotten eggs from suckie fish! :D
My smaller albino ancistrus pair are on eggs - the big pair with their own penthouse tank, the fancy food and complicated waterchanges are not doing squat but the little fella in the mixed fish soup tank is on eggs.

My new hero (fish hero).

It's not much and I know they are the easiest but it is a success I really needed
Adam

Post by Adam »

Well Done INXS :D , don't run yourself down It's still an achievement. My 2 have never bred, mind you they are in a busy community tank which is probably not helping matters.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

That's so awesome INXS! Maybe it was that threatening to have a fish fry thinger the other night that did it! :lol: Will this make it easier to have patience til the others get their acts together?

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

That only goes to show that the fish aren't reading the books we are :lol: They often do what they want seems like, no matter what we think they should and shouldnt do :roll:

Congrats INXS! :D