two species in breeding tank

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

Jacqie
Groupie

two species in breeding tank

Post by Jacqie »

Hi,

I have three L 260 en two L 046 ( want to buy two more) but I would like to keep them in one breedingtank,( 80x35x30) is this possible or is it not a good idea?
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Bad idea imo. 260s will bully zebras. For a long time I kept a tank with 2 male 260s, pair of 134s and adult zeb pair. All got in the same box. In 10 month one zeb lost and 3 juvies about 1.75 added. later a pair of 333 were added.

When I converted to all zebs this year and redid the tank I had 2 zebs left and all the other 6- 2 more zebs lost including the biggest.

If you want to breed zebs- do it in a species tank. If you want to keep zebs to have/enjoy them, only mix them with fish that do not compete with them for food or territory and do OK in zebra params.
What makes the common person uncommon is common sense.
Jacqie
Groupie

Post by Jacqie »

Thanks for your advice, I already decided to set them apart because it seems there is the possibility of cross breeding . But this is also a good reason :wink:

Very sorry you lost your fish :(