Food Advice Needed:

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

jpboscar3
Groupie

Food Advice Needed:

Post by jpboscar3 »

Does anyone have experience with Kens Premium Flake Foods? If so will you recommend a few of his foods to feed my Zebras (Adult and Fry)? I have been hearing a lot about garlic added to fish food, does this benefit Zebras? What foods do successful Zebra breeders use? Thanks :D
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

i dont feed mine flakes, i worry that it will just float around and the zebras will never find it causing food to rot/build up all over. i feed mine stuff that settles and stays on the ground.

hikari canivore wafers
new life spectrum h2o wafers
hikari algae wafers
kent spirulina pellets
new life spectrum growth
new life spectrum thera+A
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

I have juveniles. I feed mine the following...
FBW (frozen bloodworms)
Frozen Mysis shrimp
Hikari sinking carnivore pellets
Omega One algae discs
Shrimp pellets
Tetra bits
Beefheart mix for discus (beefheart, spirulina, vitamins)

The only ones that I really notice to be eaten are the FBW. My zebs may or may not be eating the other foods, becuase it's not noticeable.

Regarding the fry, I heave read here to shave FBW, because the bigger pieces may cause the fry to choke.
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

crazzi.eddie, do you just leave the uneaten foods in the tank? i siphon out anything uneaten the next day and am scared my little ones are eating enough but dont want to ruin their water quality at the same time.
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

I usually leave food before lights out and syphon the uneaten food around noon or sometime in the afternoon. If the food looks like it has fungus on it, I do a 40% WC with aged, heated, dechlored water.
Last edited by crazie.eddie on Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jojoyojimbi
Obsessed!!

Post by Jojoyojimbi »

ken's sinking pellets and micropellets with spirulina are great foods, i didn't purchase mine originally but i sure appreciate having them passed on to me with the aquariums/fish i bought from a guy
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

hmmm,

everytime i leave food overnight it looks like it has fungus on it. also i have sand substrate and a good amount of decor/caves/slate in there so sometimes you cant see the food that is leftover.
Raul-7
Obsessed!!

Post by Raul-7 »

eklikewhoa wrote:hmmm,

everytime i leave food overnight it looks like it has fungus on it. also i have sand substrate and a good amount of decor/caves/slate in there so sometimes you cant see the food that is leftover.
That's why I keep scavengers in my pleco tanks. :wink:
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

The only thing I fear about keeping scavengers is that you can never tell if the zebs got a chance to eat the leftovers or not.
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

well i can tell when my zebras eat cause the get fat tummies, i have added a handful of MTS to help stir up the sand and to eat leftovers.