pleco caves

Pretty much explains itself really. If you have questions about tank set-ups, tank furniture, (caves etc) chuck them in here!

Sergei

pleco caves

Post by Sergei »

ok do i NEED some sort of caves to keep a pleco or will the hide in plants etc as i want to keep my tank looking as natural as pos. Im thinking if i do need caves 2 options

1 - an under ground sort of cave with a small opening so its under the sand so you cant really see it.

2 - a small pipe again under the sand but at an angle again so you cant really see it.

atm heres my tank

http://www.zebrapleco.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2395
inia
Groupie

Post by inia »

You can put there a cave, but that is not necessary, if you dont want to make your plecos spawn. You've got hiding places and that is enough. Plants are not good hiding places, but rock-caves and driftwoods are.

If that tank was mine, I would put a cave under the sand"hill" and put a rock over it, so the cave entrance is in the shade, under the rock. That is the way my caves are arranged in my tanks and the overall view is really natural, -you can't see that there are caves, if you don't look under the rocks.
Sergei

Post by Sergei »

thanx for your comment inia, im not realyl after breading them as i dont think the tank is that suited for it and as its my first tank i would like a variaty of fish. I think iv come up with a good place for a 'cave'.

inia i dont spose you have a pic of your set up or you 'caves' so i could get a better idea. Thanx.