New Species: Its out of this Galaxy

If it's about fish in general, or it's a little bit random, then this is the place to post it.
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

New Species: Its out of this Galaxy

Post by andrewcoxon »

:D just bought 10 of these to go in with my corydoras weitzmani's, they we're only discovered a few months ago and i got some of the first ones in the country so far. what a little stunner!!

Microrasbora sp. "Galaxy"

My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

Seems like their the new craze. They are really nice. You're lucky to have them. I really like them, but can never find any info. How big do they get? Habitat?
discusbabe
Obsessed!!

Post by discusbabe »

They look absolutely stunning! :O Where did you get them from?
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

its hard at the minute as they are so new, and their origin is being kept a secret. but they only get to 2.5 cm by all accounts and like soft coolish (75 degrees) water. as for habitat im not sure but the red on their fins seem to get more intense in a planted tank where they feel secure as they are quite shy.
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
andrewcoxon
Mentally Certified!

Post by andrewcoxon »

discusbabe wrote:They look absolutely stunning! :O Where did you get them from?
BAS aquatics in bolton, there is some left but there going fast apparently. they do mail order too! :D
My Pleco's:
4 x L46
5 x L174
5 x L134
5 x L287
5 x L257
2 x L236
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

very nice :D
discusbabe
Obsessed!!

Post by discusbabe »

Do they now? Erm... Might have to have a gander at what they have in store! 8)
Jojoyojimbi
Obsessed!!

Post by Jojoyojimbi »

they're sellin for 8 bucks apiece or more in places in america... damn greedy capitalists ;)
tmh0324
Groupie

Post by tmh0324 »

Look realy nice~~~ :D
Just fall in love with zebra~~
Lifted193
Obsessed!!

Post by Lifted193 »

Great looking fish! Look like mini trouts!
LMNO

Post by LMNO »

It's a NICE.....what country are they from? :lol:
n00dl3
Obsessed!!

Post by n00dl3 »

Lifted193 wrote:Great looking fish! Look like mini trouts!
Very good point! If you look very careful.. it is a BROWN Trout!
Alistair
Obsessed!!

Post by Alistair »

:lol: Look more like brook trout or artic char to me :lol:
Jojoyojimbi
Obsessed!!

Post by Jojoyojimbi »

they're from thailand, and they like colder water, like the white cloud minnows
husky_jim
Obsessed!!

Post by husky_jim »

Quote from practicalfishkeeping:
Known only as Microrasbora sp. "Galaxy", the exquisite little tropical cyprinid fish is believed to be an undescribed member of the Microrasbora genus, and is about to go on sale under the common name of Galaxy rasbora.

The man who introduced it, Kamphol Udomritthiruj of AquariCORP, says that the fish was found in Myanmar last month, but since it's such a new discovery he's keeping its exact collection locality under wraps for commercial reasons.

Udomritthiruj told Practical Fishkeeping: "It is already being offered to select UK wholesalers through Singapore and should be there within the month, I suspect, as one of the first places in the world."

At this stage, the exact identity of the fish remains a mystery - although it's almost certainly new. It appears to be a member of the Microrasbora genus, but shares some features with Danio choprai.

Says Udomritthiruj: "It is a Microrasbora only by association to Microrasbora erythromicon (ie. body shape and swimming characteristics). But whether M. erythromicon is sensu stricto 'Microrasbora' is another argument altogether.

"It is small 12-15mm; mature, ie. gravid females found at 12mm size. Slight sexual dimorphism with females only slightly less colourful. Intensity of scarlet fins are unaltered by mood, stress, courtship etc. Well conditioned males develop a red colouration to the chest-to-belly area."

I suspect that Wildwoods in Middlesex may be one of the first stores to obtain these. Judging by the stir they are creating online, I would imagine that the first batch is likely to sell out very quickly.

[Update: Wildwoods has confirmed that it is expecting a shipment of Microrasbora sp. Galaxy very soon. They're likely to sell for £5-8 each for the first few months.]

[Update: September 22, 2006. BAS in Bolton currently has 800 of these in stock which are due to go on sale shortly.]

[Update: October 12,2006. This species has just been bred for the first time by Bolton Museum Aquarium. More details and an in-depth article on the species follow in the December 2006 issue of PFK.]
[b]Jim[/b]
[url=http://www.aquazone.gr][img]http://www.piranha-fury.com/pfury/uploads/1129493122/tn_gallery_1075_67_7031.jpg[/img][/url]