Baby Zebra question

An area for anything related to spawning. Share your experiences with the rest of us here...
zebrastorey
Obsessed!!

Baby Zebra question

Post by zebrastorey »

At what age are baby Zebra Plecs ready to move tank or be sold? as my tank is as full as i want it to be and i have just found another 10 new babies
chanettt
Obsessed!!

Post by chanettt »

i guess 8 months lod or around a year should be the size that they usually sale. or you can give me that 10 to take care of incase the tank is full. :lol:
Pete
Obsessed!!

Post by Pete »

As long as you move them to a tank (with a cycled filter) filled mostly with water from the existing tank, they won't even notice.
It's not an illusion, it just looks like one.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

I wouldn't move them before the 6 months mark. Handled carefully that should be ok.

Personally I won't sell mine until they are at least 8 months - but 15 months will be the optimal age at selling.

What a luxury problem btw, bet there's quite a few people thinking "whish it was me" :lol:
Pete
Obsessed!!

Post by Pete »

Yes, I certainly wish I had that problem with Zeeb fry.

Fry are designed to survive in the real world from day 1 and nobody is there in the river looking after them. My bristlenose fry haven't been at all concerned that I've already moved them a couple times - even those I moved with their yolk sac still intact have done fine. Unless the suggestion is that Zebra fry are particularly weak, I don't see any reason why moving them - at any age - would present any issues.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Zebrafry don't acclimatize very well, and I wouldn't even think about moving them as long as they have an egg sack :shock:
zebrastorey
Obsessed!!

Post by zebrastorey »

Fry are designed to survive in the real world from day 1 and nobody is there in the river looking after them. My bristlenose fry haven't been at all concerned that I've already moved them a couple times - even those I moved with their yolk sac still intact have done fine. Unless the suggestion is that Zebra fry are particularly weak, I don't see any reason why moving them - at any age - would present any issues.
Zebrafry don't acclimatize very well, and I wouldn't even think about moving them as long as they have an egg sack
Which one is right????
zeberdee
Groupie

Post by zeberdee »

hi mate

hope ya remember me :D the seller of the sexy female you have, if ya do sell em what kinda price you gonna look for?
glad its all gone so well for ya

cheers buddy
Pete
Obsessed!!

Post by Pete »

Naturally, we both think we are and McEve has zebra fry where I don't so she could potentially claim the moral high ground - although it would only really be applicable if she'd moved fry at a young age (to a tank using the water the fry were already in) and immediately lost them all.

I don't see what's to 'acclimatize' if you move the fry with water from the tank they're in.

I wouldn't have a second's hesitation to move Zebra fry if my Zebras ever spawn.
zebrastorey
Obsessed!!

Post by zebrastorey »

hi mate

hope ya remember me the seller of the sexy female you have, if ya do sell em what kinda price you gonna look for?
glad its all gone so well for ya

cheers buddy

Hi Mate

Don't worry i remember you and our deal you get first refusal but until i can establish what age i need to keep them til i don't know how much they are going to be.
zeberdee
Groupie

Post by zeberdee »

no worries m8

cant believe how well your doing, maybe i should have just hired her out :lol:
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

Pete wrote:moral high ground, although it would only really be applicable if she'd moved fry at a young age (to a tank using the water the fry were already in) and immediately lost them all..
I've actually seen fry waste away without moving them to a different tank when taken from the dad, in the same tank, but put in a frytrap.

I've also seen fry wasting away when moved at 2 months of age, of course kicking myself for being impatient.

this has nothing to do with moral high ground but reality.
Pete wrote:I don't see what's to 'acclimatize' if you move the fry with water from the tank they're in.

I wouldn't have a second's hesitation to move Zebra fry if my Zebras ever spawn.
The bacteria that makes an enviroment doesn't live in the water. And... You're speaking from experience with Zebra fry I understand
Pete
Obsessed!!

Post by Pete »

The bacteria that makes an enviroment doesn't live in the water.
I'm very well aware of that, hence my reference to a cycled filter. The point of moving them with their tank water is to remove any potential for shock that might otherwise be caused by moving into (potentially) different water.

And... You're speaking from experience with Zebra fry I understand
I already said I wasn't, but plenty of experience raising other fry and I somehow doubt that Zebra fry are so massively different that such experience doesn't apply.
I'll bet that fry dying at 2 months after they were moved from their father isn't because they were moved from their father. And I'll likewise bet that moving them to the fry trap didn't kill them. Are you suggesting that in the wild the parent fish somehow feed their fry for 2 months plus? We already know that the father boots the fry out of the cave long before that - does he protect them through long-range ESP?

That's precisely the type of comment that apparently causes people to cry "elitism". It's a shame. Zebras aren't giant pandas, they're just the same colour.
McEve
Hypan-guru!

Post by McEve »

:shock: :lol: :shock: What are you on about? :lol: Please, wait until you have bred Zebras before making statements about their behaviour ;)

I'm sure it won't come as a surprise to you that fry from different species react in different ways. Guppy fry needs to be treated differently from tetra fry....no?

Edit

What's this bull about elitism anyway? You can't expect a person that hasen't bred them to know as much as one that has..? Get off your high horse
John

Post by John »

Comparing bristlenosefry with zebrafry :shock: :?: