what spirulina is everyone using? what is everyone feeding?

Everything you ever wanted to say about "Zebra luvin", but didn't because you thought everyone would take the mickey! Plus general topics for discussion including everything from what you feed them to your personal experiences.

eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

what spirulina is everyone using? what is everyone feeding?

Post by eklikewhoa »

getting ready for the zebras i plan to pick up this weekend and wanted to know what kind of spirulina is everyone using in their homeade foods? i searched it and came back with all sorts of stuff.

if someone can link me to what they are using it would be great.

thanks!
Last edited by eklikewhoa on Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CDNAqua
Obsessed!!

Post by CDNAqua »

Your local health food store is the best place for powdered spirulina.

peace

Troy
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

anyone have a picture or link to what they are using?

i have seen a bunch of different types of spirulina, some with additives that start with a c, pill form, capsule, powder etc... are they all the same? should i just buy flakes or something with spirulina already in it?

what about the hikari frozen brine shrimp that have been fed spirulina, any good?
CDNAqua
Obsessed!!

Post by CDNAqua »

eklikewhoa wrote:anyone have a picture or link to what they are using?

i have seen a bunch of different types of spirulina, some with additives that start with a c, pill form, capsule, powder etc... are they all the same? should i just buy flakes or something with spirulina already in it?

what about the hikari frozen brine shrimp that have been fed spirulina, any good?
Yes, hikari frozen brine shrimp that have been fed spirulina would be very good.
mixing in spirulina flakes with your meaty foods would be a good way to supplment. I doubt your zebs would like plain spirulina flake so mixing it would be best solution.

Sera has some good sprilina foods maybe try something like this

http://www.aquaristic.net/Productinform ... -Tabs.html

hope that helps.

Regards

Troy
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

ok thanks.

so i could just use spirulina flakes in the blender when i make some homeade foods for the zebras?
KenW
Obsessed!!

Post by KenW »

Hi eklikewhoa,

mixing the flakes with a blender or a food processer will work nicely. But in my experience the babies did not seem to mind eating the flakes when fed. I've use the "OSI" brand and the "Aquatrol Spirulina20".

Ken
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

thanks for the reply.

i believe they would eat just the flakes themselves but i just want to give the little ones something extra, feed them like royalty :D and figured i could knock out two birds with one stone mixing it all together.
Barbie

Post by Barbie »

I use spirulina powder I purchased at the health food store to add to my homemade foods. It's not expensive, but then I know all of the other ingredients are as fresh as possible, not potentially degraded like they can be in flake foods and what not.

Barbie
[url=http://www.plecos.com][img]http://plecos.com/plecosbanner.gif[/img][/url]
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

everyone says health food stores but i havent found anything, what are the names of the health food stores?

i have checked gnc, herbal places and most food stores.
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

i was wondering what everyone feeds their zebras, from staple to homemade. i was able to find spirulina enriched wafers so i might try those but i have been feeding mine hikari carnivore, hikari algae and NLS h2o tablets.

what i wanted to know is what you guys feed cause mine wont eat NLS h2o nor the algae wafers but they love the carnivore wafers
crazie.eddie
Obsessed!!

Post by crazie.eddie »

I don't think mine eat algae discs either. Even though I leave it in there. I can't tell if it's smaller becuase it normally dissolves a bit or if they are actually eating some. If they do, it's not much. Compared to bloodworms. I defnitely can tell that they are eating them.
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

yeah mine dont touch the algae wafers so i have kept it for my other plecos that do eat it but the zp's dont touch the NLS either.
eklikewhoa
Obsessed!!

Post by eklikewhoa »

some intresting reading over at another forum about spirulina.

http://www.cyphos.com/forums/showthread ... ge=1&pp=10